• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sense UI ROM

Actually the DroidSwap app (used in an earlier release) will no longer be needed, but you will in fact need to partition your SD card with a swap file to run this rom. The Sense UI needs the swap.

This rom release is big imo. The Sense UI that HTC created is the one and only thing I miss from owning an Eris. It is the Android OS.... refined.

Update: Now it looks like a mid day release tomorrow. Not tonight :-(

Upvote 0
It's OUT.

EDIT: Damn, still no RIL so you can't make calls with 3G on....

True, but they said they will release the RIL this weekend as an "update.zip". I'm going to flash to this tonight...I'll keep it on until Sunday, then flash back if no RIL comes out.

Flashed it yesterday and man was it SLOOWWW!

That's odd...People where saying it was really fast...Hmmm...Guess I'll find out tonight..

Upvote 0
I didn't have to partition my SD card. I've been using apps2sd for a long time.

Here is what I found in about 3 hours of playing with it.

1) It is painfully slow.

2) Every app that relies on an internet connection takes not seconds but minutes to load. Want an app? Open market and put the phone down. Go get some food or something. It might be loaded by the time you come back.

3) The weather widget is overrated. I did see a couple of other widgets I liked, though.

4) The one great thing about it that I haven't seen any other widget capable of doing yet was vertical scrolling. News widgets are in lists, and you can swipe to scroll up and down.

5) I tried making a phone call just to see what was what. It was on speakerphone and I saw no way of shutting it off. I could hear the person on the other end, but they could not hear me.

6) The "phone" button is the biggest button on the bottom, and the button to the right is a widget button. I already knew that, so it didn't really make a difference in trying it... but it is still an annoyingly large waste of resources. I can think of a million things that would be better suited for those spots.

7) Unsure if flash works or not... I could never get the browser to connect to anything before losing interest in waiting.

I loaded it, then flashed back to clockworkmod and did a backup, so I can switch back to it with relative ease, but for now I am back on Cyanogen.

Upvote 0
I didn't have to partition my SD card. I've been using apps2sd for a long time.

Here is what I found in about 3 hours of playing with it.

1) It is painfully slow.

2) Every app that relies on an internet connection takes not seconds but minutes to load. Want an app? Open market and put the phone down. Go get some food or something. It might be loaded by the time you come back.

3) The weather widget is overrated. I did see a couple of other widgets I liked, though.

4) The one great thing about it that I haven't seen any other widget capable of doing yet was vertical scrolling. News widgets are in lists, and you can swipe to scroll up and down.

5) I tried making a phone call just to see what was what. It was on speakerphone and I saw no way of shutting it off. I could hear the person on the other end, but they could not hear me.

6) The "phone" button is the biggest button on the bottom, and the button to the right is a widget button. I already knew that, so it didn't really make a difference in trying it... but it is still an annoyingly large waste of resources. I can think of a million things that would be better suited for those spots.

7) Unsure if flash works or not... I could never get the browser to connect to anything before losing interest in waiting.

I loaded it, then flashed back to clockworkmod and did a backup, so I can switch back to it with relative ease, but for now I am back on Cyanogen.

Well in that case I am pretty happy I did not try it out...hahaha

Upvote 0
you need more then just a apps2sd partition fade, gotta have a 3rd one for swap. thats why its so slow for you. swap spacer helps makes up for the missing ram.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

:thinking:

Time to do some reading, I guess.

Off the top of your head, do you know if A) Helix2 will still work, and B) If any of the OC kernels are compatible?

EDIT:

I knew I was jumping the gun. lmao.

icon1.gif
Re: X3 is here!!! (Almost)

Install if you are using clockwork recovery.

Coming soon.​

Last edited by thegeektern; 8 Hours Ago at 14:13.​

That definitely would've saved me a huge amount of work.

Upvote 0
There should be a overclocked kernel in the ROM already, but I know none of the ones we use for other ROM's will work. Helix2 probably won't work because of the huge differences in the framework-res in Sense compared to stock. As far as swap goes it is something that will most likely always be needed to run Sense as it was designed for a phone with 256MB more RAM then our Droid's have. Swap allows you to make a small partition of about that size (256) on your SD card and uses it like extra RAM. This has always been the case when running a Sense based ROM on a older device.

Upvote 0

Exactly. If I had an Android-powered HTC device I'd be looking into ways to get RID of Sense UI. I guess the grass is always greener. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones