1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sent phone to Motorola for repairs, should I worry about security?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dreadnowt, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Dreadnowt

Dreadnowt Lurker
    None

Oct 17, 2014
    I was happily chugging along with my nice new Moto G. I was very happy with the quality, variety, speed, etc. And then after about 3 months or so, the phone suddenly died. It had not been abused in any way, and my hunch is that a subpar battery was the culprit - maybe this is why they were able to sell it for $100. The phone was under warranty and Motorola agreed to replace it. Customer service handled the problem smoothly. Now here is my question - I had the phone password protected, but I'm concerned that Motorola's technicians could, if they wanted to, replace the battery (which is built into the phone and cannot be easily swapped out), get around my password, and thus access all my data. Is this something that I should worry about? Do I need to redo all my passwords? Or can I trust that Motorola's employees are trustworthy and have better things to do?

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I'm sure there are safeguards against that even if they were able to retrieve your password. If it is such a concern, there is no harm in updating your passwords as that is just good practice as far as safe interwebbing goes.:)

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Will it power on when connected to a wall charger (each with the Motorola logo on it)? Of so, can you power it on and do a Factory Data Reset?

... Thom

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

It sounds like they gave you a new one and you returned the old one?

Most likely they repaired it, factory reset it, and resold it as refurbished. But yes, there's a small chance someone could have done some snooping :eek:

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.