• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Separated at birth - Nexus and Bravo/Desire

mi_canuck

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2010
Not hard to see the resemblances... :D

look at the back... look at the lens and flash... almost identical... this basically a Nexus 1.5 ;)

4359457821_86b67b6e70.jpg
htcdesire-550x412.png

one thing to note (and this could just be chalked up as photo retouching), but no noise canceling mic port on the Bravo...

I still personally like the 'clean' look of the Nexus better... But the Bravo still looks mighty nice!

peace

I really like hardware buttons, they just feel so solid and you actually feel the press which is not the case on N1 (except haptic feedback ofc). However, the nexus one does look a bit more stylish with it's sleek design whereas the bravo is bit more bulky looking even though it's dimensions are quite the same I believe.

OS-wise when it comes to android the sense isn't *that* big of a deal as in wm phones where you need to hide that hideous ancient wm os. When you add frequent OTA updates and constant communication between the customers and google it isn't hard to see which phone has a slighty brighter future.

Bravo will without a doubt be a wonderful handset but in this case I think I'll still put my money on google branding.

edit: I also like the new app-roller-thingie on N1 very much so that's why the N1 as well.

Upvote 0
Optical trackpad: never used one, really like the idea. Seems less likely to break than something mechanical like the trackball on the Nexus.

It is indeed the very closely related family member of the Nexus. Some people will love the hardware buttons, others will prefer the buttonless Nexus. I suppose that the real test will be the price, anything official(ish) out there?

Anyway, the fact that there are no shiny bits on top of the Android OS on the Nexus would always make me chose the Nexus over its sibling. I like to have things first, including OS updates ;)

edit: noise cancelling mic might be hidden on the opposite side to the nexus? Maybe. Can't imagine that HTC wouldn't put that technology in there.

Upvote 0
I'm leaning toward the Bravo/Desire due to the optical trackpad and the non-touch buttons (reviewers always complained about those). I think I would rather have stock android than sense just for faster updates.

I am looking to ditch my iPhone for an Android device even though I don't know much about Android. How much different is the stock OS from sense?

Upvote 0
it's ironic, as it uses a optical trackpad, but yet uses physical buttons... whereas the Nexus has a mechanical trackball, but haptic touch buttons.... :D

edit: noise cancelling mic might be hidden on the opposite side to the nexus? Maybe. Can't imagine that HTC wouldn't put that technology in there.

quite possible... BUT... I just thought of something else.... It could be that it's a Google innovation and if they have a patent on it, they may have the power to prevent it from being used on any other HTC phones going to carriers and not officially released by Google like the Nexus One is.... just a thought

Upvote 0
it's ironic, as it uses a optical trackpad, but yet uses physical buttons... whereas the Nexus has a mechanical trackball, but haptic touch buttons.... :D
That just means HTC possibly has two more Android up their sleeves; one with an optical trackpad and haptic feedback touch buttons; the other with a trackball and physical buttons. All with roughly the same specs otherwise. :D

Upvote 0
Wow I like the Bravo. It literally looks like another model Nexus One. Possibly an earlier model due to hardware buttons and that not so nice looking earphone hole setup.
I'd like to try it out to see which feels better while using the OS though, I've never used hardware buttons like that and the ones on the Nexus One are often miss-pressed or not pressed when needed due to them feeling slightly shifted.

Upvote 0
More official news...

HTC Desire, HD mini, Legend get official Boy Genius Report

And this interesting comment...

Best thought of as the Nexus One with Sense UI (albeit with a single mic)

So my suspicion might be correct - that Google may have the rights to the noise cancelling second mic... and only "Google" branded phones can use it... Just a theory... But would make sense.

Upvote 0
In terms of highlights, the HTC Desire has a 3.7-inch AMOLED touchscreen, Android 2.1, Flash 10.1 in the browser

quite interesting...

more interesting snippet from the article...

Where will that be? Vodafone in April
.... if Vodafone is getting it in April, and is 'supposed' to get the 'Nexus One' by spring.... seems like it would be silly to have both... so does that mean that Vodafone's 'Nexus One' will actually be the Desire, in which case, a CDMA variant may very well be VZW's 'Nexus One' ??

Great little vid...

YouTube - HTC Desire - First Look

HTC Desire first hands-on (updated with video) -- Engadget
HTC Desire first hands-on - Engadget Galleries
A lot of great additional photos here - shows the news reader, more of the Sense UI - looks really good actually... there's a great overview tool for all the screens.... a cool favorites widget that shows your contacts as pics... I'm getting jealous! I wonder how soon XDA will have a hack to install the Desire's Sense onto a Nexus... :D

HTC - Products - HTC Desire - Overview
Looks like HTC is wasting no time... Already up on their website...

HTC - Products - HTC Desire - Specification
FM radio listed in the specs... Hmmmm.... I wonder if this means the Nexus One has one in there, just not enabled... ???? I guess that might be the trade off between noise cancellation... ;)

wow... the new Sense is impressing me... check the vid (it's the Legend, but it's 2.1...)

pinch feature for all the screens... 7 pages.... the widgets for the email are super cool... and the selection feature in the web browser is major improved (similar to iphone now... but on steroids - can send you to wikepedia, translation site or dictionary... holy crap!!)

HTC enhances Sense with Leap and Friend Stream (updated with video) -- Engadget

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones