• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Separated Dad needs to give 4year old and 7 year old a tablet to video chat with me

I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to what I can do to prevent them from opening any other aps. I don't want them to download or visit anything on that tablet. I want them to have direct communication with me. Luckily the mom doesn't have a problem with this.

I use Nova Launcher, have used it for years, but its always the same settings for my business. I know I can lock the screen from moving apps etc...
Do you guys know if there is a place, dedicated to child safety features?

Basically I just want to have 1 button on the main screen for them to call or video call (i guess 2 buttons) and that's it. I can do that part. but not child proofing

here are some suggestions:

my recommendation would be getting a kindle fire hd tablet. amazon has great parental controls especially for the fire tablets made especially for kids:

amazon has amazon kids which is allows parents tighter control over the device

Upvote 0
here are some suggestions:

my recommendation would be getting a kindle fire hd tablet. amazon has great parental controls especially for the fire tablets made especially for kids:

amazon has amazon kids which is allows parents tighter control over the device
I'm become far less confident in Amazon's competence. While the Kindle Fire tablet is one of the more popular Android tablets, and the price is right (especially if you buy used): This is the company who's infamous for selling shady emotronics that are known to burn houses down. I won't go as far as to advise against buying a Kindle Fire, but I no longer endorse that tablet.

One warning about the Kindle Fire: It does not come with Google's app store. While you can install the Google app store (or any Android app store you'd like) onto a Kindle Fire, I've read that the Google store doesn't play nice with the Fire's prenatal controls.

Upvote 0
i disagree. the fire hd is a great device. sure it does not have google and amazon prefers that you use their app store. but these are for kids and the restrictions they have in place is a cut above the rest of the tablets out there.....especially the fire hd's that are made exactly for kids......plus you can't beat the price for a well made tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones