1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support seperate google account contact list from phone contact list

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saygin, Jan 31, 2014.

1. saygin

saygin Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2014
    Greetings forum member ,

I have a quick question which has already been posted to forum but I still couldn't find the working solution. I'm using Sony Xperia Z running on Android 4.3 which would be upgraded to 4.4 (hopefully).

So here is the question; As we all know, if you made any changes in gmail contact list, the contact list on android phone is also changed. I all want is to seperate gmail contacts from phone contact list. So, android merges two different contact lists regardless all contacts have a phone number. This is quite annoying. Is there a any way to keep two contact list separately? :thinking:Thanks in advance .... Have a great day. :)

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Sure. When you enter a contact you have a choice of making it an Account contact or a Phone contact. (And if your phone uses a SIM card, you also get the choice of making it a SIM card contact.)

Google only manages Account contacts. Anything entered as a Phone contact stays on the phone, and Google never sees it. If you want two totally separate lists, install another contact program (like Go Contacts). Keep Account contacts on one and Phone contacts on the other.

3. saygin

saygin Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2014
    Hello Rukbat

Thank you for your prompt reply. As you pointed out when I create a new contact, there are two choices as well as SIM card. My point is that all synched Google account contacts and phone contact are stored and listed in phone contact. So, I have hundreds contacts in phone contact. I found another solution. It's possible to filter the contacts which has phone numbers. I know this is not an ultimate solution but it works. Do you have a more effective solution or suggestion without using another contact application ? Best regards.

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    If I understand correctly, you wish to maintain two distinct contact list for Gmail and phone numbers? If so then the only way to do so is using a separate app for each.

Android uses a unified contacts database i.e. a single file is accessed by all apps regardless of purpose. The terms "Google contacts" and "phone contacts" are simply descriptive of where the data is stored e.g. sync'd with your Google account or stored locally on the phone.