• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seperation of church and state?

Why? What purpose will it serve? How will it help move the country forward in a positive direction?

Why should we have a national Emancipation Day observance? Many reasons, including the importance of remembering that for a significant period of our history, we were a nation that allowed slavery, and that good sense finally prevailed and we outlawed it.

Upvote 0
Why should we have a national Emancipation Day observance? Many reasons, including the importance of remembering that for a significant period of our history, we were a nation that allowed slavery, and that good sense finally prevailed and we outlawed it.

Every civilization throughout history saw slavery as an acceptable form of economy, until the 19th and 20th centuries. It still exists in some corners of the world, unfortunately.

That does not mean we should have Hallmark create a card for it.

Upvote 0
Every civilization throughout history saw slavery as an acceptable form of economy, until the 19th and 20th centuries. It still exists in some corners of the world, unfortunately.

That does not mean we should have Hallmark create a card for it.

I wouldn't be against a national day of remembrance. Something like 12/7 or 9/11.

I wouldn't make it a holiday or anything, but a national day of mourning for what our country wrought in our history...

Upvote 0
A totally "fake" holiday? Because it is a celebration of black culture? Because black people shouldn't have a holiday to celebrate their heritage? Nonsense. Frankly, I wish more blacks would push the issue of a true national Emancipation Day celebration, to formally remember all the generations of slavery in this country forced upon blacks by whites.

You should probably do a little research. Yes, a fake holiday indeed. Read a bit about the person that created this silly little "holiday" before you decide if kwanza is legitimate; you will be surprised perhaps. Then again . . . . .

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be against a national day of remembrance. Something like 12/7 or 9/11.

I wouldn't make it a holiday or anything, but a national day of mourning for what our country wrought in our history...

Seems reasonable. I wouldn't want to see such a day debased with "Emancipation Day Sales."

Okay, I can see allowing for something along those lines.

We've now opened the door for other "remembrances" (I acknowledge some are extreme examples)

Waco, Tx remembrance day. Gotta make sure we remember those abusive FBI Hostage Rescues!

Little Big Horn remembrance day. It was only a battle, but hey, why not? Custer deserves a bank holiday, right?

Coal Miner's economic slavery remembrance day. They worked as virtual slaves for nearly 100 years.

Native American genocide remembrance day. 'nuff said.

Japanese interment remembrance day. We humiliated an entire ethnic group in the name of national security.

Gettysburg and Antietam remembrance day. More Americans died in these two battles alone than some entire wars we have fought.

Chinese immigrant railroad laborer remembrance day. Thousands of them died making sure Big Railroad linked the east and west coasts.

Why should descendents of african americans be the only ones to receive constant reminders and national apologies?

Bad things happened. Our culture was (in some ways) more ignorant and less enlightened in the past. Now it isn't. Let's move forward. We should never forget, but we should never linger, either.

Upvote 0
You should probably do a little research. Yes, a fake holiday indeed. Read a bit about the person that created this silly little "holiday" before you decide if kwanza is legitimate; you will be surprised perhaps. Then again . . . . .

Bob Maxey

Wait, wait, don't tell me... You believe 25 December is the birthday of Jesus, or that the trappings of that holiday have something do with Jewish religious life in the Middle East in the first century.

Upvote 0
Wait, wait, don't tell me... You believe 25 December is the birthday of Jesus, or that the trappings of that holiday have something do with Jewish religious life in the Middle East in the first century.

Nope. I do not believe God exists, either. Rather, I believe in The Great Mechanism, a collection of natural laws of physics, mechanics, chemistry; the laws of motion, gravity, and the complicated interactions between chemicals that taken together, is The Great Mechanism. Some people prefer to call The Great Mechanism God or some variant. Generally speaking, many see their supreme ruler as a "living, breathing person" sitting on a throne in heaven.

I also believe that a general belief in heaven and hell and what one should do and not do in life to ensure either eternal happiness or existing forever in the fiery realms has generally been beneficial for the world. That is to say, be good, go to Heaven. Be bad, go to hell.

I like Christmas because of the tinsel, good drink, and fellowship. I also have no problem with people deciding to put a Nativity scene in the public square or Jews violating potential fire codes with all of those candles.

I do have a problem with silly holidays that mean nothing and are not at all understood by idiots that want to celebrate.

Bob Maxey

Reactions: LaTuFu
Upvote 0
And how exactly does it damage you if we don't reove our national motto from our national currency? What would you suggest to replace it?

Bob Maxey

Genocide for Nonbelievers

Get'em when their young.

How Christian fundamentalists plan to teach genocide to schoolchildren | Katherine Stewart | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

"The CEF wants to operate in the public schools, rather than in churches, because they know that young children associate the public schools with authority and are unable to distinguish between activities that take place in a school and those that are sponsored by the school."

Upvote 0
According to answers provided by Mr. Google, "In God We Trust" was put on all paper currency by an Act of Congress in 1955; the phrase was declared the national motto by an Act of Congress in 1956 and first appeared on paper currency in 1957."

So perhaps we change our national motto and that might change the currency. I am a Philatelist, not a numismatist.

Trust in this folks: if you think religion was not important in the founding of this country, you need to read a flipping book or two or 25. Christianity has always played an important part; the founders recognized this and lived their life by the good book.

This country is still predominantly Christian, I suppose.

Bob Maxey[/QUOT]
PROVE IT! Because I can show written works by the key Founders that actuall disprove this Christian Faschist Propoganda.

Upvote 0
According to answers provided by Mr. Google, "In God We Trust" was put on all paper currency by an Act of Congress in 1955; the phrase was declared the national motto by an Act of Congress in 1956 and first appeared on paper currency in 1957."

So perhaps we change our national motto and that might change the currency. I am a Philatelist, not a numismatist.

Trust in this folks: if you think religion was not important in the founding of this country, you need to read a flipping book or two or 25. Christianity has always played an important part; the founders recognized this and lived their life by the good book.

This country is still predominantly Christian, I suppose.

Bob Maxey[/QUOT]
PROVE IT! Because I can show written works by the key Founders that actuall disprove this Christian Faschist Propoganda.

I really do not think I need to prove it. Reads your early history and get back to me!

Have we reached a point where basic history needs to be proven? Really? I thought people knew about our founders and what went on early on in this part of the world.

Upvote 0
No, we're simply at a point in time where people want to write revisionist history.

A few of the founding fathers may have been more deists than true Christians, but they still believed enough in spirituality to whole heartedly support a basis of law based on Christianity.

Like it or not, the problems in our society grow worse the more we push away from the fundamental teachings of Christ. Not because of them.

Our country has always had its warts, but a fundamental support of Christianity has not been one of them.

Upvote 0
No, we're simply at a point in time where people want to write revisionist history.

A few of the founding fathers may have been more deists than true Christians, but they still believed enough in spirituality to whole heartedly support a basis of law based on Christianity.

Like it or not, the problems in our society grow worse the more we push away from the fundamental teachings of Christ. Not because of them.

Our country has always had its warts, but a fundamental support of Christianity has not been one of them.
Not going to sideline this thread which was actually about federal funding of religious institutions.
I have started a thread specifically to discuss the religious beliefs of the Founders. Be glad to discuss it with you there.

Last on topic post was about religious institutions in Japan. Shinji if only we could get to just that in this Country.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones