• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Serial communications

deliveryguy

Lurker
Jul 19, 2010
Hi guys -

I'm working with a microcontroller that is currently communicating with Windows XP via USB. I'm using putty to transfer data serially. I did have to install drivers from the hardware manufacturer to connect the device to a PC.

I was hoping I could use something like connectBot to communicate serially with the device using an Android phone, but I'm a little concerned because there aren't any drivers for Android.

I just need to send a stream of bits from the phone to the device... any idea whether or not this would be possible without the drivers?

Thank you for your time!

#6 Yeah... Doing it over BT is definitely a way to go.

To do it over USB would require for the different devices to have a USB port that can act as a host, which do not have - not stock anyway. It can be fixed by rooting the device and sometimes you'd even have to do some tricks inside the Android kernel to get it done. So if it is an app meant for distribution, that is not the way to go...

But using BT should be rather simple - off cause requiring you to get the serial signal transferred via BT in the first place. Depending on budget etc. you could e.g. do that with an Arduino...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones