• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Serious...Bionic vs X?

sx4dude2013

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2010
Georgia
I think the Bionic is the closest thing to a droid X.
Its coming out on 9/8/11 and I think I want one.
I love MOTO's build quality and VZW coverage.

Here is my quick opinion questions....**Are you gonna buy one?**

1) Does a dual-core processor really make a difference? Will I notice it between the X?

2) Do you THINK the dev community will be into the Bionic? The dev's like the X, but not the X2. How about the Bionic?

3) Do you think it will have "Mirror Mode" and can it record in 1080p?

Im really itching for something new...Im outside a lot and supposedly the new pentile screen is super bright :)

I hope I have no equipment issues like I did with the recent BOLD 9930 which I hated BTW. lol

Thanks for the opinions!!!!

sx4dude2013,

I have been "scouting" the Bionic all year long...and will still keep an eye on it as its put through its paces and we hear (or more likey, don't hear) anything from Moto re. the status of unlocking the bootloader, etc. To me, this is the core issue that will determine how large of a dev following this phone might get (although this is been a very highly awaited device and will certainly get some amount of attention).

So, I was going to wait a bit before purchasing it anyway (my Droid X is running just fine...better than it was on launch day last year, so I'm in no real hurry to run out and replace it).

I do also have my eye on whatever the next Nexus (Prime?) device will be if it comes to VZW. Certainly not as much solid information about this phone, but it might have ICS (IceCreamSandwich), be as "beefy" as the Bionic, and might be a dev phone, to boot (but to be released later in the year).

Anyway, if the Prime doesn't pan-out, I might just end-up with the Bionic :).

Cheers!

Reactions: lennydude
Upvote 0
...and will still keep an eye on it as its put through its paces and we hear (or more likey, don't hear) anything from Moto re. the status of unlocking the bootloader, etc. To me, this is the core issue that will determine how large of a dev following this phone might get (although this is been a very highly awaited device and will certainly get some amount of attention).

I don't have an upgrade coming until May of 2012, but the Bionic has definitely caught my eye. The fact that Moto has said NOTHING about the bootloader, to me, means that it is locked and encrypted in the same way we all know and love. My guess is that they haven't had time since the new root method was discovered to make any "enhancements" to the software to close that loophole. That's my hope at least. With that, 2nd init should be possible, but it sucks if people were to be stuck with that.

Upvote 0
This will be debated over and over again. I remember when the X had been out for a few months people kept asking if they should get the X or wait for the next best thing. The answer was if you keep waiting you always will.

The bigger questions is how big of a jump is it from the X to the Bionic. To be honest any phone to the X was a huge upgrade (except maybe the Dinc, that came out a couple months before). This will be dual core, 1080p and 4G. A lot of this will be personal to what you need as well.

I have used my sons D3 that has dual core and it is nice, but I really don't notice a huge improvement from what I have my X running at. As I am on CM7 the 1080p recording is not a huge factor as I am living without 720p right now. Also KC is not on the map for LTE in 2011 so again not a huge factor. If KC had LTE I may be a bit more ready to jump to a 4G phone because it would be a bigger upgrade. Personally right now for me because of not LTE this is not a big upgrade from X right now. I can wait for the next big thing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for everyones opinions!!!
I personally think that a GREAT phones comes out, and then 3 months later something better comes out. Its a never ending cycle. lol
The main thing that leads me to the BIONIC is the Motorola name. I like their quality and brand. Yes they lock down the bootloader, but with a locked bootloader, I still feel my current Droid X is a GREAT device wit root and custom roms :)

I guess im just itching for something new. lol
Glad I didnt keep the Blackberry I just tried out, almost kept it cause I thought it would be a hassel to return. HAHA.

Ill prob order a screen protector and cheap snap on case from online to las me until a real case comes out, that way if I decided to jump on the BIONIC then I wont have to go naked from Day 1.

I REALLY like the thickness and look of the PHOTON 4G, seems like from the reviews that is a sturdy/quality peice. And I assume they are comparable is some aspects.

Any other input/advice is very much welcomed :)

Upvote 0
What I really wanted was a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S II 4g, but that isn't happening! I have been tempted to look at the Bionic, but it has been delayed so many times and will likely have a locked bootloaded that I think I'll wait another couple of months and see what the Droid Prime offers.

It was hard enough for me to switch phones back when they were a couple hundred dollars. Now with the full retail prices reaching $599 and up, even with an upgrade discount the cost is so high that you really need to be prepared to hang on to the phone for quite a while.

Upvote 0
Well until it drops we really dont know.

All I can say is when I had my SGSII for a bit, the speed of it blows away the DX. That said, I would assume the Bionic's speed will blow away the DX.

Not sure what Im going to do at this point either. I love Moto's build quality and would rather stick with them vs. going with Samsung.

Upvote 0
Well until it drops we really dont know.

All I can say is when I had my SGSII for a bit, the speed of it blows away the DX. That said, I would assume the Bionic's speed will blow away the DX.

Not sure what Im going to do at this point either. I love Moto's build quality and would rather stick with them vs. going with Samsung.

YES!! lol
I def want to stay with MOTO build quality wise. lol....ugh!
I think im just gonna get one. Will it be $299.99 is the store?

Upvote 0
Me 2! I just order a snap on case and screen protector for $6. Should be here nexr week by thurs :) im excited!

Awesome man. Six bucks wow! Got a link?

The closest costco to me is 2 hrs. I guess ill be at theVZW store. Haha.

I have a Costco near me, but dunno if they will have it. May drop in tomorrow and ask. Otherwise online purchase for moi.

Upvote 0
Awesome man. Six bucks wow! Got a link?

I have a Costco near me, but dunno if they will have it. May drop in tomorrow and ask. Otherwise online purchase for moi.

Yea, its from Ebay...lol
Clear Smoke Hard Case for Motorola Droid Bionic+SCREEN | eBay

Its def something cheap to last me until Seidio makes something or otterbox.
Why wont you purchase in a store? lol
I like gettting it from a store cause I can do exchanges very easy If im not satisfied with the hardware :)

Upvote 0
Yea, its from Ebay...lol
Clear Smoke Hard Case for Motorola Droid Bionic+SCREEN | eBay

Its def something cheap to last me until Seidio makes something or otterbox.
Why wont you purchase in a store? lol
I like gettting it from a store cause I can do exchanges very easy If im not satisfied with the hardware :)

That case looks like its for the old body style if Im not mistaken. :thinking:

I don't like going in the store because the store near me. Well, lets just say its not the greatest store around. Would rather have it shipped to me.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes that one is the right one. The first one you posted is the old etna bionic.

Damn. I guess i have to try to canel that order. Im ordering a new one as we speak. UGH! Glad is only $6. lol

THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME! lol
I just re-order a clear TPU and screen protector for $12 with expdiated shipping.
I hope its here in time!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones