• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Serious problem with S7 Updates or phone updates in general!!

techsavvy01

Sep 27, 2014
New Jersey USA
I am sick and tired of phones like s7 constantly notifying you to update your phone. It is really annoying and my device is running absolutely fine so why would I want to update unless my device was acting up but it is not so that really ticks me off when it keeps notifying me!! I did update my s7 many times and in the end it made my s7 perform worse, that was a huge mistake I did. So I had to get a brand new s7 replacement from T Mobile because the updates messed up my s7. I'm warning you guys not to update your phone unless your phone is acting up . I don't think its worth to update because of a new feature and it slows down your phone. I tried factory reset, wipe data cache, you name it and my s7 still lagged. My new S7 replacement performs much better faster than my old s7 because it is running on older android software version and I never updated this new replacement s7. So I am warning everybody, don't update your s7. Those updates messed up my old s7 and I had to get a new s7 :(

Reactions: Gmash
You won't get away from the updates. Because you got your phone from TMobile. Those of us who got the phone direct unlocked and not from carriers have the option to refuse updates. Those of you who get it from TMobile, Verizon, etc, will have updates forced on you.

You can try to set it up to not automatically look for updates, but eventually the carrier will force it on you.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
You won't get away from the updates. Because you got your phone from TMobile. Those of us who got the phone direct unlocked and not from carriers have the option to refuse updates. Those of you who get it from TMobile, Verizon, etc, will have updates forced on you.

You can try to set it up to not automatically look for updates, but eventually the carrier will force it on you.

Well that is one of my annoyances with devices these days. Manufacturers forcing updates on you :(

Upvote 0
I am sick and tired of phones like s7 constantly notifying you to update your phone. It is really annoying and my device is running absolutely fine so why would I want to update unless my device was acting up but it is not so that really ticks me off when it keeps notifying me!! I did update my s7 many times and in the end it made my s7 perform worse, that was a huge mistake I did. So I had to get a brand new s7 replacement from T Mobile because the updates messed up my s7. I'm warning you guys not to update your phone unless your phone is acting up . I don't think its worth to update because of a new feature and it slows down your phone. I tried factory reset, wipe data cache, you name it and my s7 still lagged. My new S7 replacement performs much better faster than my old s7 because it is running on older android software version and I never updated this new replacement s7. So I am warning everybody, don't update your s7. Those updates messed up my old s7 and I had to get a new s7 :(

Use Package Disabler Pro to disable/NOT UNINSTALL,the T-Mobile apps &/or the ones causing the update reminders.Ditto for unwanted bloatware that can't be removed otherwise.Again,only disable,DO NOT DELETE,the apps that are otherwise uninstallable.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpremium&hl=en

Upvote 0
Use Package Disabler Pro to disable/NOT UNINSTALL,the T-Mobile apps &/or the ones causing the update reminders.Ditto for unwanted bloatware that can't be removed otherwise.Again,only disable,DO NOT DELETE,the apps that are otherwise uninstallable.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpro&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpremium&hl=en

I tried that, and Verizon just ignored all of the above, and forced 5.1.1 on my S5 anyway, even though I had disabled all of their junk.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

Yeah I think it's better to root your s7 and disable t mobile update. But unfortunately I can't do that because there is no root or probably will never be root for us variant s7.

Upvote 0
You may be able to factory reset, then on the setup screen, decline the "setup software updates". Or if it doesn't give you that, after the reset immediately go to settings>about phone>disable auto-check for updates. At least that will delay the update to the point that it only would happen once the carrier force pushes it. And I remember cases that the update can't be force pushed if you haven't downloaded it.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
You may be able to factory reset, then on the setup screen, decline the "setup software updates". Or if it doesn't give you that, after the reset immediately go to settings>about phone>disable auto-check for updates. At least that will delay the update to the point that it only would happen once the carrier force pushes it. And I remember cases that the update can't be force pushed if you haven't downloaded it.

This is the option I had on my Note4 out-of-the box just a couple days ago.
Not sure how long between update pestering,but,the 3 yrs I've been on T-Mobile,I've never had an update forced on me,& we're talking about 10-15 devices in that timeframe,& I've always had the option to at least postpone it.
Whenever MM makes its way to the T-Mobile Note4,I'll report the options given here.

Upvote 0
Not all updates are feature changes, many are security-related. It needs to be noted that disabling and/or ignoring updates can and will allow your device to be more vulnerable to malware and other security compromises. Unpatched systems and old-version apps exposed to the Internet are not just easier for black-hat hackers to access, they're primary targets.

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones