1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Serious thinking todo tonight.. Need opinions..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by baa269, Jun 6, 2011.

1. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Well i made my last and final attempt with a tbolt today.. got my 5th replacement and to no surprise.. reboot and there is no data connection... will not connect at all.. called into verizon.. they are calling me back tomorrow from corporate on a solution... now my problem.... odds are they are going to let me switch phones.... Do i stick it out and tell them i just want a brand spanking new tbolt... or a charge.. or X2... or do i goto the dark side and iPhone... Im seriously on the fence on the iphone.. everyone i know around here who has one hasnt had any problems what so ever.. but ever android phone ive had has had problems... charging, touch screen, battery, reception, radio, hardware, software... you name it.. So anyone who has an opinion please spill... I have until around 10am tomorrow to make a decision.

Advertisement

2. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    I hate Samsung phones. Plus after holding the charge it feels like a cheap generic device next to the thunderbolt.
    As for the x2 have you looked in that subforum? It has its own share of problems.
    If I were you I would get a new thunderbolt and not take the ota. It is the main cause of reboots.

3. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    thats the thing with samsung phones dont think ill ever go back to a samsung phone even if you paid me after the epic 4g...

4. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Yewwtah!
    I would request a new ThunderBolt. I had the iPhone for a few months and it is true its a great phone too. Beautiful screen , although a little small compared to the TB. I never had any problems with it at all BUT if you like the freedom of customizing your device you will hate the iPhone.

Restraints of iTunes, non removable battery and no expandable memory don't sweeten the pot either but they aren't all together deal breakers either IMO. Just make sure if you go the iPhone route you sit down and make a list of all the niceties you will be loosing. If you don't see any major red flags then go for it :D

GMB

5. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    its the same with LG phones.. they tried to push the LG on me but forget it.

6. Familyguy1

Familyguy1 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2010
    Gallatin, TN
    I got the TB but have not done the update due to the problems, phone still runs fine. Anyway for them to give you one where its on the firmware that it originally shipped out on instead of the newest version?

7. sqerkl

sqerkl Newbie
    None

Blackberry? I dunno. ANYthing but a Samsung. Never had nothing but probs with those abominations. And I've never as much as held or used an iPhone, nor wanted to. They've always seemed to me like iPods passing as phones. Cute, fun, but not overly useful from a productivity standpoint.

However, based on your comments, I think you'd be better off with the iPhone. If only because you seem to know people who actually own it and could give you real-world troubleshooting tips and what not. And maybe that'll give you more peace of mind, as a consumer, than going off into the relative unknown with a Charge or an X2.

8. spense626

spense626 Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2010
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I was in the same situation your in.. I had a TBolt loved it when I first got it but as the weeks went by my problems got worse, constant reboots, no data connection I had enough. I bought a Droid Charge last week and its been awsome. I have never been a fan of touch wiz UI or samsung phones in general (besides the nexus S) but I decided to give it a shot and I am glad I did. I am currently rooted and running the "Altered Beast" rom and it truely is a beast NO lag what so ever, not to mention the SAmoled Screen and IMO much better camera,battery life I have not experienced one time where my data dropped or a reboot happened, it has been rock solid. I could not be happier!

p.s heres a video of the "altered beast" rom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJBtVZehnNY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

GrandMasterB likes this.
  9. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 20, 2009
    IT
    If I was on my 5th phone I'd be moving on to another phone. Right now on Verizon it'd be either the Charge or iPhone.
    Luckily I have had great success with my phone other than the battery. So I picked up the extended battery.
    I hope that helps, good luck in making your decision.
    PS: I'm betting you've been checking out iOS 5 features?

10. WildH

WildH Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2011

Sweet.

11. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

Oct 14, 2009
    I switched from the TB to charge. Love it. Gorgeous screen, lightweight (no more brick in my pocket), and great battery life. Sold my TB and THREE batteries on ebay. With dolphin browser, there is no lag.

12. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    You gotta be really unlucky to be on a 5th Thunderbolt. I have a launch Thunderbolt and it's perfect except for occasional reboots from the new update. iPhone 4, Droid Charge, LG Revolution, and Droid X2 are all solid devices with their own set of pros and cons. The Droid X2 is probably the nicest phone on Verizon right now but it doesn't have LTE support.

13. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Well I got vzw to send me a new bolt finally.. if it had update installed I'm not gonna bother. Going to call and request a charge instead...

14. dangerous

dangerous Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Arizona
    My wife is in the same boat as you. Her NIB TBOLT is arriving tomorrow (and she is out of town, so my helping her will be loads of fun).
    We got rid of the Fascinate (and i sold it, bummer). the TBOLT is Crap.. i'm hoping as others said, don't do the OTA (hopefully it isn't shipped with it). will fix the exact issues you described.

15. dangerous

None

Jul 23, 2010
    Arizona
    I was on the 5th as well, I just opened the last Refurb, pulled the label out and Stuck it on the outside and sent it back. Didn't even look at the phone. hah.

16. dangerous

None

Jul 23, 2010
    Arizona
    I think i will do the same. and I will get a refund also. heh.

17. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    City of Sharks to the City of Live Music!

Bah, you jerk. I thought it was a ROM for the game Altered Beast. That game was epic. :(

18. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    well i got my brand spanking new tbolt and sure enough has the new update on it and sure enough reboots are rampant. 3 in a 2 hour timespan of having it activated... no apps installed, nothing restored... i think im gonna go charge...

19. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    City of Sharks to the City of Live Music!
    If youre too impatient to wait for the fix, SEEYA! I personally havent had issues with reboots. Then again, I think the charge looks like crap and wouldnt touch it if you paid me, but to each their own.