• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Seriously degraded performance after 2.3.5 update

D

Deleted User

I manually updated my Ace to Gingerbread 2.3.5 today via Odin.
The firmware upgrade appeared to go without a hitch and my phone now shows it is indeed running 2.3.5 (it was running 2.3.3 before).

My main reason for upgrading is that it is supposed to improve performance of the phone but unfortunately, I have found performance has degraded drastically.

Basically, after turning the phone on it is running crap. I have only two home screens and just scrolling between those is laggy as hell and it just jumps between the screens about a second after I swipe.
Pressing an app icon lags as well and takes ages to actually do anything.

I have to admit I'm a bit concerned by the unofficial nature of such mods and needing to root etc.

In the meantime I have flashed 2.3.6 AGAIN.
Cleared the cache data, restored the phone to factory settings, tried without the memory card in and still pretty appalling.

If I am using the phone it seems ok but when left 10 minutes or so I unlock the screen and that's when the problem starts.
Terribly slow when phone is first turned on and terribly slow when the screen is unlocked.
It does improve a lot when wifi is turned off but I prefer to leave it on all the time when at home.

Upvote 0
I have kind of solved the sluggishness problem.
WI-FI

Leaving at the default sleep policy (turns off when screen turns off, on when screen turns on) causes the problems.
For whatever reason, when it turns on with the screen, it causes chronic slowness of the phone (for me) and recover for some time.

Setting wi-fi to always on, even when screen is off solves all the performance problems and the phone has been running well for the past couple of days.
Of course the downside is that wi-fi is using up battery even when the phone is off but I suppose a fast phone which runs out fairly quickly is better than a juddery, unusable phone which runs for days...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones