1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Seriously...is there ANY hope for this camera with Lollipop?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lexiaj, Nov 14, 2014.

1. jalov

jalov Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    Again...not to belabor the point...I get its a phone and not a camera. But why waste money designing and touting a 21mp camera that can't take a picture of the slightest movement when you can simply put in a 10mp camera and work on getting useable motion images. Its such a let down. Again I'm not asking for the quality of a $2000 camera, but I don't get the "its a phone, so nothing else matters and its bonus" sentiment. If a company chooses to make a big advertising push including the camera aspect of said phone, then I'd expect something decent.

Advertisement

2. Skipdawg

Skipdawg Android Enthusiast
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    US Navy Vet, very retired!
    Washington State
    Looking at the reviews and what owners have said this camera should blow what the Droid DNA has out of the water so I should be happy. :)

3. PowrDroid

PowrDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2012
    Male
    Business Owner
    Minneapolis, MN
    Please describe what settings you are using and how you take photos. Do you use tap-to-focus?

4. 007shark

007shark Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Male
    Electronics Tech
    FL
  5. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

6. jalov

jalov Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    It was asked what settings I used. Haven't don't much out of the ordinary. I've tried the HDR both off and on, drag to focus on, and both wide screen and standard settings. The problem seems to be if I have the focus circle on something moving it will spin the shutter or hesitate and by the time the photo snaps the subject is either blurry or completely out of the shot (again using my slow walking dog as the basis for example)

7. 007shark

007shark Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Male
    Electronics Tech
    FL
    I was able to download it just now. Maybe it was fixed between your post and mine for the SC3.6.7 apk.:dontknow:

vzwuser76 likes this.
  8. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

Yeah it worked now. Only thing that sucked was the three download buttons. Hate when those advertisers pull that BS. Thanks for the heads up.

9. PowrDroid

PowrDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2012
    Male
    Business Owner
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't know precisely how the Turbo camera works from memory, I don't have one, only played with it in the store, but is it possible to "lead" the subject with the viewfinder, that is pre-focus on the subject then place the camera's viewfinder where you know the subject will be a split second later?

[Shouldn't need to do this, but maybe it will work with slower moving subjects.]

10. budfox66

budfox66 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Eastern NC
    I've been using this camera since the day it came out. It is as good as the RMHD was, maybe a little better on some still opps. But, the point on moving targets remains the same, maybe worse, so I agree that this is a disappointment for the Turbo. Maybe the pixel capture in the 21mp is too much data and overwhelms the processing power, I don't know. Kinda like, doubled the horsepower but tripled the weight? Anyway, I too wish moto would emphasize motion and active photography over insane MP...I think there is more value in shutter speed and taking better active photos over MP. Please make this a priority on lolipop

11. jalov

jalov Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    Only problem with that suggestion is that subjects don't always move left to right, or right to left. Imagine a concert, or people just moving about. I get the theory of what you are suggesting but it won't necessarily work, besides really being a giant pain to have to try to figure out where the intended subject of your photo will end up a few seconds after you decide to take your picture. I continue to hope moto gets on this and fixes it. It's frustrating beyond words.

12. Lukewarm

Lukewarm Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Low light, motion and the non-existing ability to take a macro photo, I still have my Galaxy Nexus and have used it side by side. The GN takes better pictures. No messing with settings, no tap-to-focus, just take a picture. I'm really frustrated with how far away the camera needs to be from a small object to focus and take a usable picture. Hopefully this changes with an update. I do a lot of mechanical restorations and things where it is nice to document how something comes apart or goes back together. The ability to take a decent close-up macro is a real benefit for me. I was really hoping the Turbo camera would be an improvement over my years old GN, no dice.

I'll update this post to not bore everyone but answer ones question. The first two photos were taken with the Turbo. The last two photos were taken with a Galaxy Nexus. Both roughly the same distances from the subject. They both take pictures with slightly different borders than what is visible on the display. Even if you wait all day, the Turbo will not focus on an extreme macro. If anyone has used a different app that is able to improve this, I would be grateful for the suggestion. I won't be returning my phone because of it, but I am disappointed that my new phone cannot match if not improve upon most things my three year old phone was capable of.

DT 1.jpg DT 2.jpg

GN 1.jpg GN 2.jpg

#37 Lukewarm, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  13. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Have photos improved with the OTA update sent out this week? I know that it's advertised for VoLTE/Advanced Calling, but did it also improve the camera?

14. Skipdawg

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    Washington State
    Took some pics yesterday. Did not notice anything different.

15. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Is the focus lag still the same? Delay after taking a photo still the same?

16. Skipdawg

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    Washington State
    Yea seems to be about the same. My HTC DNA was faster with taking pics. The quality is much better though.

17. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010

Sure it does. Post some side-by-side pics where you didn't intentionally make them look bad on the Turbo (in other words, let it focus before snapping the pic).

Nothing is worse than the Gnex on camera pics.

#42 adrynalyne, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  18. the_rooter

the_rooter Guest
    None
    How can anyone say this camera on the droid Turbo is terrible? Its the best I seen on any phone up to date. People should wait for it to focus before snapping.

PandasPa likes this.
  19. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I don't know about "any phone". I do know bout "Motorola phone". It is the best camera I've ever used on a Motorola phone.

... Thom

starkraving likes this.
  20. starkraving

starkraving Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2013
    Male
    Contractor
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I've never really been over concerned with the camera on my phone. It serves its purpose and helps me capture progression/anomalies on job sites or a random snap shot from time to time. At the end of the day its just a mobile camera. I mean I don't have any illusion of capturing live action shots at the UNLV game that are worthy of a Sports Illustrated cover shot. So I guess what I'm saying/asking is do you guys think our expectations may be too high for a camera phone?

#45 starkraving, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  21. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Visiting a current trail project ... some point and shoot images were rather incredible.

... Thom

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      798.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      774.3 KB
      Views:
    whitehat likes this.
  22. EliC

EliC Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
  23. decraig2000

decraig2000 Newbie
    None

Dec 27, 2012
    Male
    Engineer
    Indiana
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the camera on the DT. I am a hobby photographer and have all of the latest and greatest in DSLR and other camera technology. I don't expect my smart phone to be a DSLR or magically take award winning photos. However, if you know what you are doing in terms of how to take photos and how to deal with fully automated point and shoot technology (it can be finicky) then the DT certainly can hold its own against most of the smart phone cameras out there. I personally like the way the Google Camera app works over the stock app. I also have Camera FV-5 and it runs pretty well on the DT. I took a few photos which I consider "tricky" for a smart phone as an example. I cleaned up the tones a bit in post using the Pixlr app, but I do this with almost every photo that I take with any smart phone.

My daughters dragging out their Christmas tree last week. One shutter click was all, they were moving the entire time.
    [​IMG]

Decorated Christmas tree. Lights will mess with any automated camera, including smart phones and even expensive DSLR's running in automode. You have to know how to trick the camera to make it do what you want.
    [​IMG]

A photo from a concert last night that I attended. Again crazy lighting, people moving, etc. I took 3 photos and all gave basically the same result. Digital image noise and not totally sharp, but for a smart phone (or even a point and shoot camera) I was very very pleased with the resulting image.
    [​IMG]

24. jamielov

jamielov Newbie
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Wanting a faster shutter/less lag is expecting too much?

EliC likes this.
  25. EliC

EliC Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    I don't think so!