• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seriously? No data connection while on the phone?

So I saw this commercial the other day for the iPhone where they were saying how the iPhone can look up stuff on a map and lookup restuarant info on the web all while on a phone call. I thought, that's silly, can't every smart phone do that? I had never tried it before on my Hero, so tonight I just did a simple test, where I was on the phone and tried to look up some info on the web. No go. There was no data connection.
Boy was I not happy about that. Is that a function of the OS (v1.5), or the network I'm on (Sprint)?
It seems like its pretty basic that I should be able to be on a phone call AND look something up at the same time, just like the iPhone commercial. Or am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting somewhere?
If anyone has any more info on this, or comments, I'd like to hear.
Thanks,
-john

Those commercials are just a response to Verizon's Map commercials. AT&T is trying to make a big deal about a technical difference between their network and Verizon. Truth of the matter is that both have their stregnths and weaknesses. While a CDMA network (like verizon and sprint) can't run data and voice at the same time, they can produce a better quality signal inside of buildings and farther from towers. So which would you rather have? Poor reception but the ability to go online during a call (which will probably get dropped) OR strong reception with only phone options available.

It is worth to point out, you can still send and receive text messages while on the phone with CDMA. And infact, you CAN even use data if your phone has WiFi. There is a reason Verizon is repeatedly ranked the #1 provider, and its not because of a lack of being able to look up something while on the phone.

Upvote 0
Do you think CDMA will ever get to the point where you can do both, or is it an inherent limitation of the technology? Or can an OS somehow emulate the capability, overcoming the limitation? (Not sure quite how that would work, if it simply is not possible on the network).

As it is, I have not had much need to do both, and I only found out about it from the commercial. But it made sense: I'm on the phone with someone, and I want to look up a movie time and place. But at this point, I do prefer the better coverage and call quality I get from Sprint (which roams on Verizon). I would NOT do ATT in this area of the country (Northeastern NY).

BTW, they (ATT) have another newer commercial that really pushes the point where a guy is juggling 2 phones to lookup something and talk at the same time.

Upvote 0
This is definitely a case where ATT is grasping for straws with this latest advertising campaign. They should have just put their money where their mouth is and spent those advertising dollars on increasing their 3g network coverage. Then they could say "Well, since our maps are the same, and we can do x,y,z, you can suck on it verizon." But they won't, because LTE is on the way.

Upvote 0
Funny how AT&T makes such a big deal about this. I've never actually tried to do this, so didn't know it was even a limitation until about two weeks ago. If I ever had to look something up while on the phone with somebody, I would just call them back. Didn't even consider doing it the other way while making them sit there waiting.

It's all about their image, though. First Verizon came out with these map commercials. AT&T knew they were accurate and flipped out. First they tried to sue them, and that didn't work, so then they went scrounging for things that they can do, that Verizon can't do. So far they found one, and it doesn't really do anything for me.

It's actually a little bit funny how desperate they're getting. Carriers of the iPhone, the mighty AT&T, grasping at straws? I smile a little bit every time I see that commercial.

Upvote 0
Does anyone really view this as an issue?? Like others have said... I have never had the need, or event the desire to try and surf the web while I am n the phone with someone. This is just rediculous, and ATT needs to shut up. I really dont think that anyone will leave Verizon, ( or Sprint for that matter) just so they can use the internet while on their phone.

Upvote 0
Does anyone really view this as an issue?? Like others have said... I have never had the need, or event the desire to try and surf the web while I am n the phone with someone. This is just rediculous, and ATT needs to shut up. I really dont think that anyone will leave Verizon, ( or Sprint for that matter) just so they can use the internet while on their phone.

The fact that most people who are "hindered" by this limitation are only now being made aware of it as a result of these commercials, should be enough to make them realize that they have never needed to do this in the first place.

Besides, even for an iPhone to do this, it has to be in a 3G coverage area, and actually maintain the voice call long enough to complete the web session.

I would much rather have this limitation, and be able to work around it by calling the person back, than have crappy service, for which there is no work around.

Upvote 0
The fact that most people who are "hindered" by this limitation are only now being made aware of it as a result of these commercials, should be enough to make them realize that they have never needed to do this in the first place.

Besides, even for an iPhone to do this, it has to be in a 3G coverage area, and actually maintain the voice call long enough to complete the web session.

I would much rather have this limitation, and be able to work around it by calling the person back, than have crappy service, for which there is no work around.

Exactly. I never even knew about it until I saw those commercials and did a bit of research, and I don't suddenly wish I had that feature just because it was brought to my attention. I'll stick with actual good service and coverage, thanks.

Upvote 0
e-penis envy is strong in the tech gadget world. I myself cant listen to a phone call and surf. Yes I guess i could use speaker phone, but I tend not to subject the rest of the world to my boring phone calls (of course Im in the minority in todays twitter/facebook world "yes Im on the tolit right now!!!!" is not info i need or want others to see). Much like Verizons map which is technically correct (who cares if there is covarage where there are 3 people living?) AT&T covers 90% of the population of the USA. if you do travel alot (most people do not) there map can be a bit spotty. As a ex AT&T user i can say they can be bad in come towns too, but the map add is pretty deceptive. Verizon is better coverage (fact) but much of that map is on no mans land (ok people living in those spots, sorry but its true as a ND native I know). As the surf while you talk stuff, technically its true... but again, who really needs to surf and talk? I know its almost human nature to want something we cant have, and I think this is a case of that.

The Iphone Vs Droid debate. its really simple, Iphone is a bit more mature so its got several things going for it in interface, and the fact its got time on its side, more people have played with it longer, and so on. Many downsides, only so-so actual phone, totally locked down Via APPLE's I OWN YOU attitude. at&t is a so -so network. DROID (or Android), young unrefined but may just grow into something good (only time will tell), expandble battery and memory.

both have stuff the other doesnt, Right now I miss several things about my Iphone, but the Droid is slowely taking the pain away. And yes, I must admit as a pure PHONE, you know to talk to people, its better then the iphone.

Upvote 0

Couldn't agree more. The friends that have brought this up never used that feature and they've had smart phones for a while now so it must not have been that important. Are there people that use both data and voice at the same time, sure, just not a lot that I know.

My friends that have iPhones don't bring this up due to the fact that it doesn't work for them as well as the commercials make it out to be.

Upvote 0
You proved that this feature is only useful on a VERY limited basis. You had no idea that you couldn't do this because it's not really something anyone does!

So I saw this commercial the other day for the iPhone where they were saying how the iPhone can look up stuff on a map and lookup restuarant info on the web all while on a phone call. I thought, that's silly, can't every smart phone do that? I had never tried it before on my Hero, so tonight I just did a simple test, where I was on the phone and tried to look up some info on the web. No go. There was no data connection.
Boy was I not happy about that. Is that a function of the OS (v1.5), or the network I'm on (Sprint)?
It seems like its pretty basic that I should be able to be on a phone call AND look something up at the same time, just like the iPhone commercial. Or am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting somewhere?
If anyone has any more info on this, or comments, I'd like to hear.
Thanks,
-john

Upvote 0
I had my roommate try this a few times, just to see how much of a killer feature it is - as AT&T would have you believe. Strangely (or not so strangely) he lost the call every time he tried to do it.

That's funny. Or sad, depending on you're perspective.
Like I said, I can see the benefit of being able to look up a movie in Fandango and talk at the same time on speakerphone or headset, but I also see that it could be pretty limited, especially on a troublesome network. I'd much rather have the better network quality than one that says it can do something that it can't really do! But is that the fault of ATT or of GSM technology? I ask this because what if you have an Android phone on GSM in Europe? Would it work better or just the same? And can an Android phone on GSM do this?

Upvote 0
...Besides, even for an iPhone to do this, it has to be in a 3G coverage area, and actually maintain the voice call long enough to complete the web session...

I had my roommate try this a few times, just to see how much of a killer feature it is - as AT&T would have you believe. Strangely (or not so strangely) he lost the call every time he tried to do it.

Wow! I kind of said that tongue-in-cheek!

Upvote 0
That's funny. Or sad, depending on you're perspective.
Like I said, I can see the benefit of being able to look up a movie in Fandango and talk at the same time on speakerphone or headset, but I also see that it could be pretty limited, especially on a troublesome network. I'd much rather have the better network quality than one that says it can do something that it can't really do! But is that the fault of ATT or of GSM technology? I ask this because what if you have an Android phone on GSM in Europe? Would it work better or just the same? And can an Android phone on GSM do this?

Its not at&ts fault they chose GSM. I PREFER GSM to cdma2000, at&t is at fault because you have to have solid backhaul with UMTS in place they rushed the upgrades and neglected backhaul. Think of it this way you have a wireless b router hooked to dsl you buy a new wireless n router its not going to give you a faster internet speed because the backhaul (dsl) remained the same. Gsm can't handle voice And data at the same time either but umts can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones