1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Seriously, the battery life. Please help.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by itsthereefaman, Jul 14, 2013.

1. itsthereefaman

Do I have a malfunctioning device? I rooted and have the Tapatalk app downloaded. That's it. I used the LG pawn method to root. It takes two hours or more to fully charge the battery with zero usage. With minimal to no usage on solely battery power it drains in around 45 minutes to and hour. This phone is brand is only a week old and bought brand new. Is this common?

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk 2

Advertisement

2. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member

if the phone is brand new, it's possible you just have a faulty device or faulty battery.

itsthereefaman likes this.
  3. itsthereefaman

Okay so I'm gonna do some major backups. I'm gonna take this phone back to the store. Will the "full unroot" on SuperSu work on uprooting? I haven't found an unroot guide for this device?

4. KurianOfBorg

KurianOfBorg Newbie

It's a software problem. You have wakelocks. Check with BBS.

itsthereefaman likes this.
  5. itsthereefaman

What is wakelocks and bbs?

6. GuitarG20

has your battery life gotten better? Kurian is referring to one of the many battery monitoring apps on the play store. The one I use is GSAM Battery Monitor. If you still have very bad battery drain, you can use that app to give you a more accurate picture (than the built in battery stats) of your battery health and what is draining your battery.

I still stand by my theory that you have a defective battery. That drain is too fast for even a device fully wake-locked with GPS on and running constantly.

7. itsthereefaman

Thank you for helping me. I downloaded the suggested monitoring app. I'll play around with it. A few days ago I used ROM toolbox to under clock the cpu a bit while in use and considerably under clocked it when the screen is off. It seems to help battery life a good amount but, of course, my phone lags. Is wake lock enabled automatically?

8. GuitarG20

It's possible your phone has a random wake lock (happens sometimes) but the app will give you percentages for what is using your battery down to the app, show you wake locks and time held awake, and give you a graph with temperature, screen, awake, and other overlays. It's the easiest way to see what is using your battery.

9. GuitarG20

To clarify, wake locks are bad.

10. deansouth8

deansouth8 Newbie

After using GSAM Battery Monitor it turns out the Radio is the issue. I never had this type of drain before the V8. I don't run about a lot and haven't changed habits. Signal was bad a few days a few weeks ago here but then cleared up and I'm back at full bars. Still after a full charge 12 hours later its nearly dead whereas before I could run 17-20+.

Any tips? Thinking about following the downgrade instruction posted here but don't necessarily have the time or care to. I still may. http://androidforums.com/venice-all-things-root/715991-how-downgrade-recover-your-lg-venice.html

11. GuitarG20

Can you post screenshots from GSAM so we can take a look? :)

12. deansouth8

deansouth8 Newbie

It will take some time to capture some more data. Did a factory restore.

GuitarG20 likes this.
  13. deansouth8

deansouth8 Newbie

I'm not slacking. I'm also not capturing data yet. I'm going a little above and beyond like I usually do in a whacked out non scientific way.

There is another little issue I'm running into where I can only half receive group texts from iphones that is really kinda bugging me. Actually it's not bugging me because I think group texts are fricken stupid to begin with. Texting is not email for a reason. Accidentally having your fricken phone number handed around like candy by idiots at 1AM is something that should be illegal. None the less... When I get one my phone wont make a noise unless there is WiFi or Data. It will however still show that a Multimedia Message is available to download with an expiration of NOW as the txt. If download is pressed it fails. When WiFi or Data is enabled it will make an alert noise and download the message. It downloads a blank message with no body txt. The only bit of the body I see is on the main scree in the preview and only make out a few words. I recall at least getting a bit of the text message before the firmware update if not the entire thing.

A couple things possibly going on here so I wanted to eliminate some variables. I blame everything on the last firmware update non scientifically because I don't have all day every day with this thing to troubleshoot scientifically. Anyone living in their moms basement want to give this a whirl? You lucky people know who you are. I miss my mommy.

Another issue, the phone won't charge in the car. I have a couple cigarette USB thingy that is 700mAh, 1A, and 2A. They work, tested good. The phone detects the charge and displays the words 'Charging' but, the battery icon never does it's chargy thing. I did this with the phone off. Does the same thing, detects the charge with the exception of showing a yellow exclamation triangle point next to the battery depiction. Works perfectly fine on an AC power USB adapter and on the PC. BTW cables tested good too. Scientifically. WTF!

Here is what I have done...

Bought a new battery. 1900mAh. Not that I know what that would do exactly so you'll probably call me stupid but, it was cheep and may come in handy some day. New issue, I can't charge this battery beyond 97% in the phone.
    Octane Series Lithium-ion Battery for LG Splendor US730 (Boost Mobile / US Cellular) (1900 mAh)Part #: BAT-LGE-US73-02Item ID: 170107

Factory refresh.

Followed instructions to revert to firmware v5 (Anyone know where I can get 6 or 7 without paying?) Note: Future testing may involve staying at 5 for a week but would like to run 7 or whatever I was on when I think my phone worked good.

Updated to version 8 immediately after rooting with no errors or issues. It was a beautiful thing.

Doing these things had no effect on all ill scenarios mentioned above.

For the 100% charge issue I'm currently trying to do a few complete battery drains in the evenings (when available) and full charges on the new battery whilst unplugging at full charge as suggested by a few forums. Because it wont fully charge I find I can restart and a significant amount of battery life disappears, then it will charge up to somewhere in the 90's again. Haven't done this too much yet.

Sorry for the long post. It may all appear spammy and unrelated but, I always make patterns when they aren't there. You know, just to mess with my own head.