• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

seriously...you have GOT to be kidding me?!?!

deanshep85

Android Expert
Nov 22, 2010
UK
Cnet said:
ZTE Skate, the Chinese mobile maker's latest smart phone, has rolled into Mobile World Congress. It's the follow-up to the ZTE Blade -- better known in the UK as the Orange San Francisco -- and continues the company's trend for making affordable Android devices that are more powerful than their price tags imply.
ZTE claims the device is inspired by the skateboard, although for many Westerners, the name Skate is more likely to bring to mind knee-busting wheeled shoes, possibly accompanied by disco music.
The Skate is certainly slimline and light, with a weight of 120g. It still manages to squeeze in a 4.3-inch touchscreen, an 800MHz processor and the Adreno 200 graphics processing unit, so there's a decent amount of grunt for a handset of this type.
There's also a 5-megapixel camera, A-GPS, and a built-in compass and Wi-Fi connectivity, along with HSDPA/UMTS data when you're out and about.
ZTE says the Skate will go on sale from May this year around the world, although there are no specific details yet of a UK release for the smart phone. Like the hugely popular San Francisco, it might well be rebranded for a network here.
Also at Mobile World Congress, ZTE is showing off an Amigo Android handset, designed for The Kids, as well as the Blade device that we saw last year.
We were surprised to learn recently that ZTE is selling a shedload more phones than you might think. 60 million last year, making it one of the top five handset makers in the world. Its devices aren't going up against the beefiest Android phones, but that's likely why they're flying off the shelves in such numbers.

Read more: ZTE Skate smart phone offers an affordable taste of Gingerbread | Crave | CNET UK

ok....ZTE can bring out another 'possibly' budget phone like the ZTE Blade.....this has GINGERBREAD and a 4.3 inch screen?!?!....and yet our desires still have no word...hell the Nexus 1 doesnt even have an official update to 2.3 yet (unless it just got it lol)....

the hell is happening?!? :thinking:

not that *IM* greatly worried as I've rooted and slapped on GingerVillain BUT to all those who dont wish to root and are fine with stock HTC sense and 2.2....this has got to be a kick in the teeth..

im not so sure on that eddy...if you look closely the whole screen has been done over in a ZTE custom look again similar to the original blade screen shots...and where a battery meter should be is a green blob lol...

but screenshot aside....IF they are releasing with 2.3 my point still stands though :|

and the SGSII looks nice but its still got samsung over the top of it..and I dunno after a lil play with the first S it spoilt it big time for me...hell I'd pick sense anyday over touchwiz or whatever they call it now..

Upvote 0
face it, desire is old news
sick device, probably still one of the best but technology moves on
were not in a budget market with desire, were just in a dated handset market.
does it bother me?

no its life, its how technology is

yea I get your point...just kinda wouldnt mind a nice encore for the phone of 2010 if you know what I mean lol...

though as budget as the ZTE blade was last year....it did pretty damn well...especially when paul got hold of it and started to root and rom the damn thing...really did alot with that...

hell if I didnt get my desire that would of been the toy to get...so saying that the skate should do pretty well though...

Upvote 0
I expect the next releases from HTC will also have 2.3, and I would not be at all surprised if they are out before the Desire officially gets it. I'm pretty sure the Desire had 2.1 long before the Hero. That's the way of the phone business - sales of the new model will be higher priority.

I knew this when I bought in, and always expected to switch to community software support sooner or later.

Upvote 0
I guess it's also important to note that 2.3 didn't actually add much to the table in terms of features. We got a screen off animation, which is awesome, but unnecessary, we got a new notification bar style, which HTC would change anyway, but that was about it.

EDIT: Oh, and the keyboard, which is really good, but HTC change that anyway.

Upvote 0
I guess it's also important to note that 2.3 didn't actually add much to the table in terms of features. We got a screen off animation, which is awesome, but unnecessary, we got a new notification bar style, which HTC would change anyway, but that was about it.

EDIT: Oh, and the keyboard, which is really good, but HTC change that anyway.

well I will add that in GingerVillain is anything like the genuine 2.3 then I would say 2.3 is far faster than 2.2 it also does re jig some of the menus systems about making things far easier as well as quicker with loading..

2.3 was mostly an "under the hood" update rather than something ontop tangible you could really see..

EDIT: I didn't actually like the 2.3 keyboard...I put smart keyboard pro back on...the keys are larger for my liking and I was just so used to it..

Upvote 0
well I will add that in GingerVillain is anything like the genuine 2.3 then I would say 2.3 is far faster than 2.2 it also does re jig some of the menus systems about making things far easier as well as quicker with loading..

2.3 was mostly an "under the hood" update rather than something ontop tangible you could really see..

EDIT: I didn't actually like the 2.3 keyboard...I put smart keyboard pro back on...the keys are larger for my liking and I was just so used to it..

2.3 isn't faster than 2.2, Vanilla Android is just faster than Sense...

Upvote 0
im not so sure on that eddy...if you look closely the whole screen has been done over in a ZTE custom look again similar to the original blade screen shots...and where a battery meter should be is a green blob lol...

but screenshot aside....IF they are releasing with 2.3 my point still stands though :|

and the SGSII looks nice but its still got samsung over the top of it..and I dunno after a lil play with the first S it spoilt it big time for me...hell I'd pick sense anyday over touchwiz or whatever they call it now..

Custom launcher maybe, but stock notification bar. All 2.3 ones so far have a vertical battery icon - that one is horizontal

But yeah, ZTE seems to be doing well. Tempted to buy a Blade (ala San Francisco) and just debrand it for use when I don't wanna risk my Desire

Upvote 0
Custom launcher maybe, but stock notification bar. All 2.3 ones so far have a vertical battery icon - that one is horizontal

But yeah, ZTE seems to be doing well. Tempted to buy a Blade (ala San Francisco) and just debrand it for use when I don't wanna risk my Desire

yea but that picture could just be a reprinted homescreen slapped on...hell theres a "how to" on Classical Gas's page and many others on how to get your homescreen shot on a professional shot picture of a handset...so who knows maybe its a dummy system pic..

but given the recent track record with them...the ZTE part will be good...but please for the love of god let them NOT go with orange again...they right royally screwed the san fransisco up before everyone got rid of the orange crap...

Upvote 0
I expect the next releases from HTC will also have 2.3, and I would not be at all surprised if they are out before the Desire officially gets it. I'm pretty sure the Desire had 2.1 long before the Hero. That's the way of the phone business - sales of the new model will be higher priority.

I knew this when I bought in, and always expected to switch to community software support sooner or later.

My fiance has a hero. It was around the time the desire was getting froyo, the hero got 2.1.

Got her on froydvillain though ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones