1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Services / apps running in background?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Mathew Holzschuh, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Mathew Holzschuh

None

Aug 31, 2016
    Hello, This is my first post here and I hope I am posting this in the correct spot, If not my apology's.

I will use the McDonald's app as an example but it apply's to most apps I have installed.

Why do apps run in the background when they are not in use or even open? What I mean by this is, lets say I install the McDonald's app and then reboot my phone. When the phone comes back on the McDonald's app will automatically run in the background or as a service or something. I hold the home button until the app switcher comes up, but nothing is in that list. How I know it is running is I can see it in advanced task killer or cleaner under the memory section. And when I close the app using advanced task killer it will just automatically come back open about 30 seconds later. I am running android 6.0.1, and the phone is a LGMS550.

I am somewhat familiar with Linux and when I kill a task in Linux it stays closed so I just do not understand why it would not be the same on android considering it is built on Linux.

So basically I want to know if there is a way to stop those apps from running in the background?

Thank You
    Mathew H.

Advertisement

#1 Mathew Holzschuh, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The difference is, Android allows apps coded to run in the background to do so, because Android is a mobile phone OS, and understands that on mobile phones, some services should be allowed to do so. A perfect example is the Facebook app. One if its purposes as a mobile app is to allow you to receive your notifications. It can't do that if it was noy allowed to run in the background as a service. In this light, Google gives the developers to leeway to decide for themselves if their app should be allowed to run in the background. Unlike Apple, they do not do strict app reviews since they only have suggested guidelines, not strict rules in relation to apps. So if the McDonald's app developer decides that the app should be able to run in the background for some reason, he can set it to do so.

However, are you sure it is running in the background, or is simply a cached service? That's different. A cached service is not running but kept on memory for fast access. Usually the apps in the cached services are the most recently used ones, or the most frequently used ones.

Mathew Holzschuh and scary alien like this.