1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Set Tbolt to 3G Only (non-root)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheSultan, May 20, 2011.

1. TheSultan

TheSultan Android Expert

Hey Guys,

I was having a ton of the same problems you guys are with the whole 4G to 3G to 1x to nothing issue. I went to Verizon and they said there was no way to turn off the 4g--since I don't believe them, I found a solution.

In the market there is a free app called "LTEOnOff"--grab that and set your network to "CDMA auto PRL". It's unfortunately that it ignores 4g completely and essentially turns the phone in to a 3g device--but it solves the crap connection problem, and it also does well to help the battery out.

Hopefully I'll only need it temporarily until they straighten their chit out!

jvbaseball likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Android Enthusiast

VZW employees do not know their ass from a hole in the ground...

3. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Android Expert

No disrepect, but a lot of us have known about this app for a long time now and there have been threads on the topic. But I'm glad you figured it out and it's working for you. :D

4. TheSultan

TheSultan Android Expert

It's gonna take more than that on an internet forum for me to feel disrespected. Didn't realize it was common knowledge, I hadn't seen anything posted before--wish I had rather than figure it out on my own!!

I guess everyone can ignore this from here on out...

5. ahoogst

ahoogst Well-Known Member

Well the good thing is your post will show up in more google searches on this topic, resulting in less people posting here about how to turn 4G off :D

6. qingshan

qingshan Lurker

I found that most knew the app and the *#*#... technique but only the tech people were allowed to talk about it BUT then none seemed to know the upgrade had been pulled :D

7. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

No disrespect, but a lot of us just use the built in *#*#4636#*#* function without needing some stinkin app.. :D

8. TheSultan

TheSultan Android Expert

TxGoat, can you explain where that function is used? I'd love to uninstall an app...

9. JEcht

JEcht Member

easier way is to dial ##778# then select edit. Password is 000000. Then select modem. Then rev.A and select enable and 4 g and simultaneous talk and data is disabled.

10. or to answer the op's original question, type this into the phone keypad: *#*#4636#*#* and select: Phone Information>Set Preferred network type>CDMA auto (PRL) and it will still allow you solid 3G (without going from 4G, 3G, 1X) and the ability to use internet capabilities while talking on the phone. When you're in an area you think has 4G simply follow the steps over again, but change it back to: CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto.

11. TheSultan

TheSultan Android Expert

Thanks Wanderlusterer! The app I mentioned originally, appears to be merely a shortcut to this area. I can uninstall the app now. thanks!

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews