• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help set up email accounts

creative33

Lurker
Oct 24, 2010
i am very frustrated with the email set up with the captivate!! i set up yahoo and i get error messages, as it is continually searching for messages? when one sets up an account how can you set up a second account? and how do you delete an account?
I moved from an iphone to android and so far the os does not seem as intuitive as the iphone os can someone help?

I want to set up yahoo, comcast etc.......it seems quite difficult on this os? I do not have gmail. i press the email icon and it goes to the yahoo account and then an error message appears, it gets stuck looking for mail. how do i set up another account? how can you set the phone to only look for email manually not each time i go to email?
CAN ANYONE HELP!!!

Upvote 0
I want to set up yahoo, comcast etc.......it seems quite difficult on this os? I do not have gmail. i press the email icon and it goes to the yahoo account and then an error message appears, it gets stuck looking for mail. how do i set up another account? how can you set the phone to only look for email manually not each time i go to email?
CAN ANYONE HELP!!!

You need to stop beating your head against the wall and just switch to a gmail account..not trying to be snide or anything..but just the way it is...android: google: you make the connection...android is just made for google, by google from what I can tell

Upvote 0
I had switched to android to see how it compared to the iphone os, i have had a captivate now less than a day, and to this point i cannot see how the android os is better? it is surely not as intuitive as the apple os. There is too much searching to figure out functions on the phone and system. I can understand how people do not like apple because of its closed OS, but i am hoping that someone can enlighten me, because i am going to return this phone and get an iphone once again.
I try to play some streaming video form a website and and it use's flash and windows, i cannot get it to play? Will this OS play flash content? Will it play windows based video whether streaming or not?
every OS has its issues but, aside from the closed app issue with apple, i am not seeing the beauty of this OS over the Iphone?
can someone again enlighten me?

Upvote 0
I had switched to android to see how it compared to the iphone os, i have had a captivate now less than a day, and to this point i cannot see how the android os is better? it is surely not as intuitive as the apple os. There is too much searching to figure out functions on the phone and system. I can understand how people do not like apple because of its closed OS, but i am hoping that someone can enlighten me, because i am going to return this phone and get an iphone once again.
I try to play some streaming video form a website and and it use's flash and windows, i cannot get it to play? Will this OS play flash content? Will it play windows based video whether streaming or not?
every OS has its issues but, aside from the closed app issue with apple, i am not seeing the beauty of this OS over the Iphone?
can someone again enlighten me?

The Android is not for everyone. If you're not geeky, then you should stay with the iPhone. iPhones lack customizability but that is good for folks who aren't geeky :) (Nothing wrong with that!!)

The Android are for people who are geeky and more technically inclined. Just as the Android is not for you, the iPhone would not be for me!

If you usually have your friends/sibs/progeny set up your home computer for you, the iPhone is better suited to you. If you do your own computer set up, you'll eventually come to love the Android OS.

Take it back and get an iPhone. You will be happier. But DO NOT feel bad about that. Android is not for everyone.

(Not for my BF, he really doesn't like it, but I told him if he wanted another phone, he'll need to do the research himself and figure out what to get and set it up himself. I'll only help him with the Captivate. Don't want to learn his phone and mine, too.)

Upvote 0
thanks! does this OS play windows or flash video? I am geeky but not to the point where one has to find apps in order to run video on a phone and the like? so with this OS you seem to have to build it to get functionality out it? Rather then have it all laid out for you? other then this being a more open OS. I have tried to cut and paste and simply things like that and it is not straight forward. It seems not to highlight what you want to select and from what i have tried i can not get the cursor to drag to highlight a certain part of a text?

Upvote 0
thanks! does this OS play windows or flash video? I am geeky but not to the point where one has to find apps in order to run video on a phone and the like? so with this OS you seem to have to build it to get functionality out it? Rather then have it all laid out for you? other then this being a more open OS. I have tried to cut and paste and simply things like that and it is not straight forward. It seems not to highlight what you want to select and from what i have tried i can not get the cursor to drag to highlight a certain part of a text?

I don't think the 2.1 OS runs Flash, but Froyo is supposed to. I don't do any video viewing from my Captivate, so don't know much about this, sorry!

Yes, there's basic functionality in the phone, but often you'll find apps in the Market that will be more to your liking. Most are free, so don't be shy :)

If you change to the SWYPE keyboard (don't remember if that is the default or not, but if NOT default, default it to the Swype keyboard) -- go through the short tutorial. When you want to finesse the cursor, Swype the swype key to the SYM key and you will get what I call the finessing keyboard and you can select words and move the cursor more granularly.

Swype rocks. I will never go back to physical keyboard if all future onscreen keyboards have Swype.

Upvote 0
Gmail is not "the only way to go". The Gmail system is convenient and works, but limited. Granted I have a Gmail account by virtue of the required Google account but it's not my main email account. My main email is not Google at all and I access it via IMAP and K-9.

Email - CapFAQ

It works vastly superior to Gmail, and I'm very familiar with the Gmail app.

Upvote 0
Gmail is not "the only way to go". The Gmail system is convenient and works, but limited. Granted I have a Gmail account by virtue of the required Google account but it's not my main email account. My main email is not Google at all and I access it via IMAP and K-9.

Email - CapFAQ

It works vastly superior to Gmail, and I'm very familiar with the Gmail app.

When I was on WinMo, I really wanted to push my Gmail, but that couldn't be done on non-enterprise gmail. So imagine my surprise and pleasure that gmail on android is push.

If the OP doesn't need push and would rather retain existing comcast addy, then it seems K-9 is the perfect solution.

If push is preferred then gmail would be better.

It seems a shame to not take advantage of push when it's available, imho.

Upvote 0
If the OP doesn't need push and would rather retain existing comcast addy, then it seems K-9 is the perfect solution.

If push is preferred then gmail would be better.

K-9 supports push (IMAP IDLE) just fine. That's how I use it. It also supports 100 other features and has configurability that Gmail never will. :)

K-9 is based on the stock email app. It's essentially "Stock Email PRO".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones