• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

set wifi network preferences

Droid1893

Lurker
Jun 18, 2012
Hi.
Is there anyway I can set the wifi networks preference order? For example in my home I have my home network but I also found a hotspot network which I can find in many other places and which I connect to it when I am not at home. I want my phone to allways connect to my home network first and only try the hotspot one if my home network is down.

I want the following order:
1.My home network (if found allways connect to it).
2.My work network
3. Public hotspot network

This seems a pretty basic thing.

Any suggestions?

As long as you save the settings for each and tick the wifi network option "connect when in range"(if applicable) then you shouldn't have any issues.

I believe as long as wifi is turned on, it will constantly scan for networks, and when it finds a saved profile it will connect automatically.

So, you should just need to connect and input the password for each of the three networks you want to use, as and when they are in range, once the password is in and the profile is saved, it should be automatic from there (as long as wifi is turned on)

Upvote 0
I am also interested in this, but it does not seem to answer my question. From home I can see two WiFi networks: my home router and a public hotspot. My home router is essentially free, whereas I pay a volume charge for the public hotspot. I wnt my phone to prefer my home router, and the public hotspot only if the home router is unavailable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones