1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Set WIFI SSID as preferred?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bucknasty, Dec 7, 2014.

1. bucknasty

bucknasty Member
    None

Mar 25, 2012
    I have found no way to make the turbo re-connect to a specific Access Point SSID in my house. The damn thing keeps connecting alphabetically "A before Z" to ap's in my house. No, I don't what to connect the the B-xxx AP, but the E-1000 Ap. Grrrr!

My galaxy S3 would re-connect to the last AP/SSID I used when turning Wifi "on".

As much crap as every one gives TouchWiz, most of the improvements are really great compared to stock 4.4.4. Finding more and more missing things on the Turbo that I have had to search play store for that are part of TouchWiz, some can't be duplicated.

hopefully 5 will bring things back to parity.

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Go to Settings | WiFi and click on the router of your choice
    When the dialog appears select Connect

My list of routers is not arranged alphabetically. My assumption is that it is arranged by signal strength.

... Thom

#2 Thom, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  3. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Try settings / wifi. Tap the menu control bottom right, then Manage networks. From here you can drag and drop using the icons on the left to clarify your preference - I think...

Most of the time WiFi should connect to the strongest AP it finds that's in your list of previously used APs, and will hold it as long as it gets a decent signal.

However, I have a better idea for you: if you can, just give all of the SSIDs in your house the same name (with the same security passphrase, if you are using WPA/WPA2 or, if you have no other choice, WEP). I have a router and two APs in my house connected by ethernet and all have the same name (with a different channel, of course, to avoid interference) and I never worry about which one I am connected to. This is standard practice if you want to have WiFi roaming in a location.

bucknasty likes this.
  4. bucknasty

bucknasty Member
    None

Mar 25, 2012
    You are correct! possible to slide them up/down by holding the icon. problem solved!

doogald likes this.