• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root setcpu/overclock question

have you overclocked ub?

I have eclair running and would like to flash the overclock kernal it.

I am not sure which version to use in your link. Should I get the latest for eclair (since thats what i'm running?) There are different dates/files.

and then once we figure out which version OF CWR i should use, how do you flash Roms/kernals from a bootable CWR SD card?

Yeah, I've OC'd honeycomb...but that kernel had some issues. I've never OC'd the 2.1 or 2.2 ROMs (never really saw a need for it)...but I've heard it works fine and does improve speed.

You'd want to use the kernel that is for your version. The download links appear to be listed by date. So 031311 looks like the latest version...I'd go with that one. just backup in CWR before flashing any kernel or ROM (just smart to do so in case you have an issue).

I don't know if you can OC a ROM running off of the SD card???

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've OC'd honeycomb...but that kernel had some issues. I've never OC'd the 2.1 or 2.2 ROMs (never really saw a need for it)...but I've heard it works fine and does improve speed.

You'd want to use the kernel that is for your version. The download links appear to be listed by date. So 031311 looks like the latest version...I'd go with that one. just backup in CWR before flashing any kernel or ROM (just smart to do so in case you have an issue).

I don't know if you can OC a ROM running off of the SD card???

I think my last question was a little messy, so i'll try again.

I've burned CWR onto a 2 gig SD card and it runs fine. My question is, How do I flash kernals, Roms, restores from a CWR SD card? (i'm using the SD card method of CWR, NOT the eMMC "method".

To break it down further, it appears that my SD card is now FULL from the CWR img file. So how in the world do I put a kernal or a ROM onto the card to flash since the card is full from just the img by itself? Further, how do I do a NAND backup onto the SD card since again, its FULL!?

Upvote 0
I think my last question was a little messy, so i'll try again.

I've burned CWR onto a 2 gig SD card and it runs fine. My question is, How do I flash kernals, Roms, restores from a CWR SD card? (i'm using the SD card method of CWR, NOT the eMMC "method".

To break it down further, it appears that my SD card is now FULL from the CWR img file. So how in the world do I put a kernal or a ROM onto the card to flash since the card is full from just the img by itself? Further, how do I do a NAND backup onto the SD card since again, its FULL!?

I think I got ya...Here's the deal (as far as I know).

You can't load a different kernel for a ROM that is on a bootable SD card. When people create the various SD bootable ROMs like the one below, they have already loaded a specific kernel (in this case it is a 1.1GHz kernel):

[ROM] Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 Image for SDcard Updated (3/14) - xda-developers

Now, if you wanted for flash a new kernel...I don't think you could do that. If you wanted to be able to flash different kernels, you would need to have a ROM that is loaded on internal memory and you would need CWR.

I happen to like the Dual Boot options (plus...you get your memory card back :D). I've OC'd the Honeycomb 0.4 Preview to 1.1GHz running on the second partition. But I've looked briefly, and don't see where the OP for the thread below has added OC's for the Eclair, Froyo, or CM, dual boots. I have searched the threads but would advise you to read closely if trying to do that to ensure you flash a compatible kernel.

[ROM] Flashable eMMC dual boot ROMs (Froyo, Honeycomb, Eclair, CM7) - xda-developers

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
don't think you're getting the question...

I'm not trying to run a kernal on a bootable SD ROM. I'm trying to flash a kernal onto my nook using a bootable CWR SD card.

In other words, I stick my cwr SD card into the nook and boom.... I'm into CWR home screen. Well, the card for CWR is 2 gigs. The image file (of CWR by itself) takes up nearly 2 gigs of the card.

If the card is full, how will it allow backups? where would it put the data? Conversely, if i wanted to load a kernal onto the CWR SD card and then flash to the nook, how could I do that since the CWR SD disc is full? Are these kernals, roms and backups really small files?

I'm not trying to flash anything on a bootable SD card with froyo/hc/cm7 etc.

What I want to do is overclock stock rooted 2.1 eclair. I've got my cool CWR 2 gig sd card and I think I know which overclock kernal it takes.... to overclock, how do i move the kernal to the SD card (remember, its full from the CWR img).

I guess the normal way to do this would be to put CWR directly onto the eMMC and then just stick a SD card in with the kernal into the nook. Then, launch into the internal CWR and then flash the kernal stored on the SD card.

I'm not doing it that way, as I wanted to be "safer" just to have the CWR img on an SD card and boot into it that way.

Upvote 0
ok, i think i have the answer to this.

First of all, the CWR img file isn't 1.84 gigs on my 1.89 gig SD card, It (I THINK) partitions??? the whole card so that its usable.

In other words, I can put kernals, backups and roms into the root directory of the SD card, then when I try to use CWR, it will see the files sitting there and can use them.

yes? no?

Upvote 0
When you make the .img file for your SD card it allows you to use the extra space for storage. It just makes the key parts (CWM) bootable for the Nook. it has to allow it since some apps use your SD storage.

I use my bootable card for storage and can still drag ROMS, kernels, etc, to the SD card.

To answer the main question, if you are flashing ROMs and kernels to the internal memory, then yes, use a OCable kernel to use setCPU to actually OC it. Using a bootable SD card (which is required for CM7) does not matter (as long as your flashing to eMMC/internal memory and NOT sd card)

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Yeah, I was missing your question entirely bluewhite79 :eek:

Thanks for the rescue there stinky!

Question for you...why would you want your recovery on an SD card? Why not just write it to the internal memory. Just seems like a convoluted way of doing things IMO. I get that it might be required for some ROMs...but seems silly.

Not criticizing...just asking :)

Upvote 0

Question for you...why would you want your recovery on an SD card? Why not just write it to the internal memory. Just seems like a convoluted way of doing things IMO. I get that it might be required for some ROMs...but seems silly.

CM7 requires it, mainly because the flashing of that particular ROM requires wiping the entire internal memory, including the internal CWM that may be installed there.

Not sure why this process is different than other phones, where the recovery isnt wiped when you install new ROMS, agreed it seems silly. But thats just the way it is I guess.

Upvote 0

That's a good question. If you are running rooted stock, then you might as well install cwr to eMMC. Download Rom manager, run it and select the "Flash clockworkMod Recovery" option, then just select "Reboot into Recovery". Then have the kernel you need (make sure you get the eclair kernel if running stock) on the sdcard and select install from zip, and choose zip. Reboot and run setcpu.
I'm fairly new to this as well, but I spend most of my time reading these forums, yeah I'm boring like that, just ask my wife. :D

Edit: Oh, if it asks what device, select Nook Color. Do not select the (old) option. I think it asks that. :)

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
That's a good question. If you are running rooted stock, then you might as well install cwr to eMMC. Download Rom manager, run it and select the "Flash clockworkMod Recovery" option, then just select "Reboot into Recovery". Then have the kernel you need (make sure you get the eclair kernel if running stock) on the sdcard and select install from zip, and choose zip. Reboot and run setcpu.
I'm fairly new to this as well, but I spend most of my time reading these forums, yeah I'm boring like that, just ask my wife. :D

Edit: Oh, if it asks what device, select Nook Color. Do not select the (old) option. I think it asks that. :)

One of my NCs is running stock (rooted) 2.1. The other one is running a dualboot with the stock ROM and Deeperblue's v0.4 HC preview. I'm using CWR on that one and have it written to the internal memory so I have full use of the SD card. I honestly thought running CWR from the SD card was a temporary thing when first loading CM. After that, I thought people were supposed to reflash CWR back to the internal memory.

Upvote 0
One of my NCs is running stock (rooted) 2.1. The other one is running a dualboot with the stock ROM and Deeperblue's v0.4 HC preview. I'm using CWR on that one and have it written to the internal memory so I have full use of the SD card. I honestly thought running CWR from the SD card was a temporary thing when first loading CM. After that, I thought people were supposed to reflash CWR back to the internal memory.

I am under the same impression. I wouldn't feel safe running it from an sdcard. I have fubar'd quite a few operating systems doing dev level stuff that I am not positive about the outcome. :p

Better safe that sorry, I always say. Besides, if you already have it rooted, there is no reason not to flash it to the internal, right?

Upvote 0
I am under the same impression. I wouldn't feel safe running it from an sdcard. I have fubar'd quite a few operating systems doing dev level stuff that I am not positive about the outcome. :p

Better safe that sorry, I always say. Besides, if you already have it rooted, there is no reason not to flash it to the internal, right?

Doesn't really matter about being safe. The thing that makes the NC so hard to brick is that it does boot from sd card. It's just a matter of convenience really.

Upvote 0

well, I like the idea of running CWR off of an SD because it doesn't get rid of the stock recovery (8 reboots). I'm just deathly afraid of boot loops and black screens of death.

Upvote 0
Usually its a good idea, and wont hurt anything, or mess with your data.

Normally if certain steps are required, the OP of the thread that offers the kernel will outline that somewhere.

so, just so I have this right...

In CWR, i should scroll down to wipe cache partition...select ok,

go to advanced settings...wipe dalvik cache...select ok.

install zip from sd card, find the OC kernal zip ....select ok.

then when i reboot, I should go to the market, buy setCPU and then I should be good to go?

Upvote 0
so, just so I have this right...

In CWR, i should scroll down to wipe cache partition...select ok,

go to advanced settings...wipe dalvik cache...select ok.

install zip from sd card, find the OC kernal zip ....select ok.

then when i reboot, I should go to the market, buy setCPU and then I should be good to go?

That is correct, there are Free setCPU alternatives and a free setCPU.apk file floating on xda (free for xda members) but his paid is basically a donation.

If you are using CM7 it has a CPU controller built in so you dont need setCPU.

Upvote 0
That is correct, there are Free setCPU alternatives and a free setCPU.apk file floating on xda (free for xda members) but his paid is basically a donation.

If you are using CM7 it has a CPU controller built in so you dont need setCPU.

thinking about doing CM7, but i don't want to lose my nook functions. specifically, read to me for kids.

Can this be kept in various roms other than stock or stock rooted 2.1?

Upvote 0
Having never used SetCPU before, what do I do after I get it installed? What should I set the Max and Min speed to? Do I keep scaling at "ondemand" or change it to something else?

I heard I shouldn't use profiles, not even really sure what those do. Are there any other settings I should know about?

Upvote 0
Having never used SetCPU before, what do I do after I get it installed? What should I set the Max and Min speed to? Do I keep scaling at "ondemand" or change it to something else?

I heard I shouldn't use profiles, not even really sure what those do. Are there any other settings I should know about?

Min - 300
Max - 800, 900, 1000, 1100 depends on how hard you want to push your processor, higher usually means faster, but may be unstable.

Ondemand is fine for now, most of the options here are for pure performance/high battery usage or low performance/low battery usage

Profiles are set requirements for certain situations that will enable the settings to change automagically. If you dont know how to use them then dont mess with it.

If your running CM7 then setCPU isnt needed since its built in.

Upvote 0
i did it...:p

got the cajones and flashed the kernal and set the max to 1 gig (lol, didn't set it to 1.1). I'm not sure if that extra 100mhz will make much of a difference.

are there certain settings that will save battery? I remember reading there are settings that could actually improve battery performance??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones