1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root SetCPU Profiles

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MadSkillz, Jun 20, 2011.

1. MadSkillz

MadSkillz Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I want to save battery power WITH great performance. So how would I go about setting up my profile? I'm new to this and it seems very frustrating.

Thanks in advanced.

Advertisement

2. teh_dude

teh_dude Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Full time student at UT Arlington, in middle of BS
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    I encourage others to pitch in to concur or correct what I'm saying, but I can offer what I do. When you go into profiles and try to create one, you'll see that one of the first options will be the type of profile you're looking to create. It's a dropdown list to choose from with things like Charging, Charging AC, Charging USB, Screen off, Temp, etc. So you think about what you want to happen: When you're using the phone, you want higher speeds to kick in so you can get good performance, but when you're not using the phone and it's just in your pocket or wherever, you don't need those high CPU speeds, and frankly don't want them high if there's nothing you're using them for. It's also worth considering setting a profile to slow the CPU down if the phone gets too hot.

In any profile, there's the type, max speed, min speed, scaling, and priority. For types of Temp, Battery and Time, there's settings for those items within the profile as well.

Most of those categories should be self explanatory. Scaling has to do with how SetCPU will control the CPU speed within the range that you set. SetCPU for Root Users will explain what each of them mean (that website will also explain the app very thoroughly beyond what I'm saying here). Priority is percentage based. Profiles with a higher percentage priority will of course take precedence over profiles with a lower percentage priority. Here's the profiles I have set up:

On the main screen (Default settings when no profile is active):
    Max: 748 MHz (I'm overclocked--if you're not, the maximum you'll have on the Optimus M is 600 MHz)
    Min: 245 MHz
    Scaling: on demand
    Set on Boot: Yes
    ------------------------------
    Type: Screen Off
    Max: 122 MHz
    Min: 122 MHz
    Priority: 100

Type: Battery <
    Battery <: 15%
    Max: 245 MHz
    Min: 122 MHz
    Priority: 76

Type: Temp >
    Temp >: 40 deg C (104 deg F)
    Audible Warning: Yes
    Max: 748 MHz
    Min: 245 MHz
    Scaling: conservative
    Priority: 50

As you should be able to draw from the numbers, when I'm using the phone, I let it ramp up. When I'm not, I make it run as slow as possible to save the battery. If it gets hot, I have it calm down a bit. Generally only seems to get hot when it's in my pocket and I'm outside for awhile on a Texas 100+ degree summer day.

There is an argument that sounds reasonable to me at least for stock kernels (no overclocking) that says Android is good enough on its own to exercise good control over the CPU speed, making SetCPU unnecessary. As for overclocking, I want to be able to know exactly what's going on when the CPU is running faster than stock spec, so I see it as critical in that context.

I hope this answers your question.

3. MadSkillz

MadSkillz Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    OMG, Thank you so much. You have answered ALL my questions.
    Now another question, what is overclocking? Is it easy too do?

4. teh_dude

None

Jun 13, 2011
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    You're welcome. To answer that question, there are a whole host of resources for you already existing in the forum. There are things that must happen before overclocking, and it's something that if you do, you must do so carefully, and be certain you have a way to undo what you've done should something go wrong. Start here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...e-asking-mostly-noob-proof-guide-updated.html

That thread is a reasonably well put together primer for customizing your phone (which overclocking is definitely a part of). From there, there are many of us that can answer questions and clarify things for you after you've taken the time to read it all thoroughly.

5. teh_dude

None

Jun 13, 2011
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    I apologize for not understanding, but I have no idea how what you're talking about relates to anything in this (albeit short) thread. Are you sure you posted where you intended to?

Tags: