1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root SetCPU Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mfpearson, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    i have been using setcpu since i rooted my infuse about a week ago. i like it for the profiles (min always on 100, max at 600 when screen off, 600 when charging, 800 when battery gets low) and i am always undercharging to 1000, since i rarely play intensive games, and mostly text/surf/phone.

it definitely increased my battery life, and my phone was still totally stable... so i decided to mess with undervolting in the "voltage" tab. as soon as i applied my settings, i got the screen of death. i pulled the battery, phone reloaded normally, but about 30 seconds after it read the media cards, i got the SOD again. tried another battery pull, same result.

finally, i pulled the battery again, and then as quickly as i could before the screen froze after reboot, i managed to uninstall setcpu, which solved my SOD problem. i did another reboot/battery pull just to be safe, and the phone was once again running normally. i re-downloaded setcpu since, and the phone is still fine.

here is my question - i DO NOT want to undervolt - that SOD incident nearly gave me a heart attack, so i do not want to mess with it again quite yet. need to learn more first, even though i researched it in great depth first (i know, i should be using using voltage control if i want to undervolt). ever since i deleted/reinstaleld setcpu, it will not "set at boot," even if i check the box within the app.

is there some sort of data file that i can reset? every time i reboot the phone and open the setcpu app, i get the "auto detect speeds" screen. i would like it to just remember my speeds, and load my settings/profiles when the device boots, as it did before i decided to mess with the voltages.

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Have you installed a custom ROM or have you just rooted?

Generally, most ROMS will have their inbuilt daemon/governor which controls CPU speed and applies differing values as and when required. SetCPU can often cause conflicts/errors with what the ROM tries to do. Obviously moot if you're on the stock ROM.

If you open the Super User app, is SetCPU on the "allowed" list? It might be that when you uninstalled, SU "forgot" SetCPU was allowed root access.

3. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    thanks for the reply.

i am on a custom ROM - infused v 1.5.3 using the infusion 1.8 kernel - everything completely stable. there was no conflict between setcpu and that ROM/kernel when i was just under clocking... it was when i tried to under volt that everything went crazy on me. i don't have any problems over clocking (all the way to 1.8!!) either, although i never do it.

setcpu still has root access, as it requested such access when i re-installed the app and i granted the access.

basically, i am thinking there must be some sort of "data" file that failed to get deleted when i uninstalled the app, and so when i re-installed the app, it is reading from that old data file... otherwise, i can't imagine why the app would reset itself (although it does save my profiles - it just don't "start on boot") every time i reboot my device!

any other ideas?

4. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Might be? Did you uninstall, then re install straight away?

I don't think it will work (but it's worth a shot), uninstall again, then reboot, then re install. See if that makes a difference.

5. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    yeah, i did reboot between uninstalling/reinstalling. i guess i will shoot an e-mail to the developers to see if they have any idea what is going on.

in the meantime... i have uninstalled setcpu again, and i started using voltage control. so far, the effects seem pretty similar. only thing i miss after switching to voltage control is the profiles - i had one set to under clock at 400 when the screen went off - seemed to save a lot of battery. if voltage control has a similar option, i haven't found it yet...

and despite saying that i wasn't going to mess with under volting, i went ahead and did it anyway, haha. voltage control DOES seem to make that easier, and is more intuitive. right now, i am undervolting everything at a range from -100 at the highest, and -25 at the lowest. no trouble yet - i might push it a little and see how much under volting my phone can really handle. wish me luck... last thing i want is that vicious screen of death cycle again.

6. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I undervolt via scripts flashed in clockwork, the lowest I've managed to consistently run with any stability is -25V. Different handset though, so different rules apply.

Probably best to start off small, test for a bit, then work your way up.

Keep me posted as to what the dev says about SetCPU. :)

mfpearson likes this.
  7. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    so i uninstalled setcpu completely, and am now going with voltage control. i read that setcpu doesn't "play nicely" with the infused ROM and infusion kernel - i was skeptical and tested it out for myself, but it seems as though this is an accurate statement.

i have only been running voltage control for about 4 hours now, but i believe i have noticed a definite increase in battery life. i have been using the phone HARD since installing it - over 3 hours of display time within those 4 hours since i installed voltage control. i am undervolting at every frequency, and have it set to under clock at 1000 (since i rarely play games or do anything too graphics-intensive).

so far so good - i may not even need those setcpu profiles, after all. i will keep you posted as i continue to gain experience with voltage control. but at this point, it looks like setcpu is a no-go with the infused rom. maybe i'll get it back if/when i change/upgrade roms...

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    same issue I was having with setcpu on that set up...you found the fix...use voltage control or no frills cpu control (no undervolting but now has a scheduler).