• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
245-245 is stock when phone is asleep.

Stock, sometimes the picture, AND the ringtone take 5+ seconds to show when someone's calling. This is because, if your phone's doing something in the background, the phone part is just another task added onto its list. If someone calls in during such a background task, the lag is inherent.

Putting your phone at 245-480 alleviates this a lot, although, YES, it does chew a little bit more battery. Not that much though. I was using 480-480 while sleeping, but I find that unnecessary. 245-480 is a happy medium.

Upvote 0
Once you get the max set to a point where the phone is stable, ie not rebooting or locking up, you can check the set on boot option so that it overclocks when you start the phone. the reason you dont do that at first is so you dont get locked into a endless reboot cycle. I run mine at max 768 min 480, sleep max 480 min 245 and the failsafe at 245/245

Upvote 0
I am having lag issues when implimenting profiles. Even at conservative levels comperable to the "default" settings of 528/245. Helix keeps freezing up and FCing. Even when a profile isn't in use.
If I leave my SetCPU at 748/245 with no profiles active my phone is wonderfully snappy and the battery life doesn't seem to suffer much at all. I think I found my sweet spot.

Upvote 0
Is there a how-to guide for using SetCPU?

I have an Eris coming in on Tuesday. I want to install the OTA 2.1 update and then root, but I do not want to install a custom ROM. In other words, I want to run the OTA 2.1 but have the ability to overclock.

To do this, do I only need to root? Or do I need to root and then also flash some sort of a custom kernel or a custom ROM?

Upvote 0
As far as I know, to enable overclocking you are going to have to install either a custom rom with OC enabled on it, or install a new kernel which will allow you to OC the processor in the phone. The easiest way is to usually install the ROM. There are a few 2.1 "stock" type roms with over clocking enabled in them if you look for them.

Upvote 0
That's the thing though... I don't really want a custom ROM. I want whatever the most stable version of Sense 2.1 is available... and I imagine that is 2.1 OTA.

When you're done with the rooting process, try the eris_official alpha 1.0 rom. It's just the standard 2.1 with sense, based on the newest software, plus it has the new kernel with overclocking (and he's removed some of the unnecessary apps like amazon mp3).

Upvote 0
Is that Alpha in the sense of "pre-beta," way-early stage of the software? Or is Alpha just part of the name? That sounds about what I would like.

But wouldn't it just be easier to do the 2.1 OTA, then root, then just do the kernel modification? Doesn't the following thread provide the kernel modification needed to overclock without installing a custom ROM? Overclock Patch and update.zip - xda-developers.

Please excuse my ignorance. I haven't rooted before, and although I'm pretty computer savvy, this is certainly an area I don't know much about. Just seems like if the kernel update in the link above provides overclocking capability, it would be really easy to get 2.1 OTA, root, and then apply that, install SetCPU, and theoretically I should be good to go.

I guess one thing I could be misunderstanding is what happens when you root. If you just root, it doesn't wipe your ROM, right? In other words, it's possible to root and simply continue running exactly the same HTC/Verizon ROM you were running before you rooted?

Upvote 0
Thanks. That's what I will flash if I have to flash a custom ROM.

My question is this though: is it even necessary to flash a custom ROM at all? Could I just root, run the OC kernel update posted in the link I provided above, and then install setCPU?

Or is it a requirement of rooting that you also install a custom ROM?

Upvote 0
Not sure where the hangup is... recently rooted, did the double wipe (data/factory reset, cache) and flashed the Eris_Official_0.8.1T2 rom, can access SetCPU but it's maxed out at 528Mhz? Have access to wifi tether etc so I know that the root is good and that the rom I'm using is in place... what gives?

Also, what's the best (read: easiest) recommended way to backup my apps so when I do another wipe/flash I won't have to re-download and install them again? Going through the necessary hoops to get the Swype beta back on my phone was a pain, hopefully there's a more streamlined and user friendly option?

Thanks in advance! :)

Upvote 0
Not sure where the hangup is... recently rooted, did the double wipe (data/factory reset, cache) and flashed the Eris_Official_0.8.1T2 rom, can access SetCPU but it's maxed out at 528Mhz? Have access to wifi tether etc so I know that the root is good and that the rom I'm using is in place... what gives?

Also, what's the best (read: easiest) recommended way to backup my apps so when I do another wipe/flash I won't have to re-download and install them again? Going through the necessary hoops to get the Swype beta back on my phone was a pain, hopefully there's a more streamlined and user friendly option?

Thanks in advance! :)

Deja vu? :eek: :D :)

gridbug, hopefully, you've seen my reply to this post in the other thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/84231-best-rom-flash-first-timer.html#post1308297

Upvote 0
I've only been rooted for a couple days, but I've noticed that my phone's ringer is delayed. The screen lights up, but the audible ringtone is delayed about 3 seconds, sometimes more.

Is this to do with the processor setting? In sleep mode, I have it 480/245.

The slot cycle is set to 1.

Any insight is appreciated.

Bswartz95,

Check-out erisuser1's posts in this thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/142217-possible-bad-root.html -- he makes some very good observations about min/max "jumps" and the possible affects (i.e., lag) when overclocking. This might help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones