• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting Dolphin as default breaks Market search?

Redflea

Android Expert
Oct 6, 2009
Since I've set Dolphin as my default browser, when I click on a link to search for an app in the market I get a not found error...

For instance, there is a link in Documents to Go (the paid key file) that is supposed to take you to the market to download the actual Documents to Go apps...when I click on that link it opens the Dolphin browser and then there is a not found error. Before I set Dolphin as the default those types of links would open the market place to the app...

Anyone else seen this issue with the Dolphin browser?

Yes. I have seen the same thing. I bought Documnets to Go for $14.99 through google checkout. It installed. I went to run it and it had me download the program. I went to download it and got a message
"NOT FOUND error 404" I also use Dolphin as my default browser. I tried it a couple of times, waited about an hour and tried it again and still got the same message.

I then deleted it thinking maybe it was a bad download. When I uninstalled the application, I was refunded my money. I then went to re-download it. I again purchased it through google checkout and the same thing happened. I emailed the company saying what do I need to do to get this to work. I was looking online and came across this post. I went into the dolphin browser settings and unchecked the option to make it my default browser. I put a check in always check default browser. I then went to try to run documents to go, this time it let me choose the browser. I chose the default browser and was able to install documents to go.

Thank you for posting this. I wouldnt have thought that the browesr would be breaking the market BUT it wouldnt let me get to the market to install my program. I hope this is fixed in the future. Who would be the one to fix this Dolphin or does there need to be a fix on googles end?

I still wish skyfire would make an android browser. I loved skyfire on my old windows mobile device. Hopefully within a few months we will have flash and have a better browser experience.

I am going to go back and make dolphin my default browser BUT If I come accross other software, I cant get to install, I will use this method again.

Upvote 0
It's a known issue that Dolphin doesn't catch certain events that normally would allow you to launch another app based on the link you've selected and supposedly they are working on a fix.

I first noticed the problem while using the GeoBeagle geocaching app, which brought me to this post in the GB Google Group:
maps intent and Dolphin Browser - GeoBeagle | Google Groups

Upvote 0
It's a known issue that Dolphin doesn't catch certain events that normally would allow you to launch another app based on the link you've selected and supposedly they are working on a fix.

I first noticed the problem while using the GeoBeagle geocaching app, which brought me to this post in the GB Google Group:
maps intent and Dolphin Browser - GeoBeagle | Google Groups

Good to know Dolphin is aware of it...I don't hang out in the GeoBeagle forum (though I really like the name :) ) so that saves me sending a message to the Dolphin developers...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones