• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting intervals for checking email?

If you use k-9 mail and setup IMAP, you don't need to have it check ever as long as your mail server supports IMAP Idle. IMAP Idle gives you push mail but the stock mail app doesn't support it.

So, K-9 mail is an app from the market. I don't know what IMAP is. I know, I know, I should.... :eek: I use three email services, Gmail, Hotmail and AOL. Do you know if they all use IMAP Idle? And if you don't know would you be able to tell me how to find out, and how to set this up for push? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yeah, K-9 is a mail app in the market. Gmail and AOL support IMAP Idle...hotmail is POP3 only. However, you can have your Hotmail pulled into your Gmail account and have a label applied to all mail from it so you know which account it's from. Obviously, the best option for Gmail syncing is the built in Gmail app.
Thanks for the quick response! One thing I miss from my old Instinct is the e-mail. It was always there NOW, and no battery worries requiring long interval refreshes.

The reviews on K 9 are mixed...I may have to think about this....Do I realy need my email to come in more often than once an hour?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones