• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting MP3's as ringtones: Problems anyone?

JadeEyedWolf

Jul 25, 2010
Is anyone else having problems with setting MP3's as ringtones? I sure am! When I navigate to the MP3 that I want as my ringtone, I tap the menu button to find the "Set as" option, but that option seems to have been removed altogether! Am I missing something here, or have AT&T and/or Samsung decided that we're not allowed to set our personal MP3's as ringtones and therefore are forced to either do without, or buy them from wherever? Has anyone figured out a workaround and/or fix to this problem? Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help solve this issue!

--Jade

I think AT&T doesn't want you to use full songs as ring tones, shorter clips work. Download ringdroid from the market and make a few tones. I assume its an AT&T restriction (to funnel you to their ringtone store) as an old SE phone I have had the same restriction, but that went away with stock firmware flash.

If your contacts are in the 'google' group you need to use the 'Contacts GroupU' (or similar) app to assign custom ringtones to contacts.

Upvote 0
I think AT&T doesn't want you to use full songs as ring tones, shorter clips work. Download ringdroid from the market and make a few tones. I assume its an AT&T restriction (to funnel you to their ringtone store) as an old SE phone I have had the same restriction, but that went away with stock firmware flash.

If your contacts are in the 'google' group you need to use the 'Contacts GroupU' (or similar) app to assign custom ringtones to contacts.

Read my post above you. :)

Reactions: NukaCola
Upvote 0
They work for me. Put them on your microSD card in a folder named Ringtones.

Settings>Sounds and Display>Voice Call Ringtone> (They should all be listed.)

Doesn't get any simpler...

Yep, that did it all right! Thanks for the help! Easy peasy!

Now, if only I could figure out a way to get it to recognize .m3u playlists... Or is that one as easy as creating a "Playlists" folder and whacking them in there? LOL!

Thanks again!

--Jade

Reactions: Baldilocks
Upvote 0
The best thing about ringdroid is that it lets you chop the song into a clip that is more ideal for a ringtone. Having a full song for a ringtone is a bit ridiculous.

Meh, cool idea to be able to do that on your device on the fly, but I guess I'm just already used to doing exactly the same thing with GoldWave editor on my PC.

--Jade

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones