• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting SD card to Disk Drive, and accessing it on the phone at the same time.

Nagrom

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Cheshire UK
Hi Boardies.

Does anyone know if there is a app, or phone mod that allows you to access the SD Card on the phone, at the same time as it's being used as a drive.

I'm getting tired of transferring things like icons, and wallpaper to my phone, then having to unmount the drive before I can use them. Especially if I'm just trying out new icons.

Is it possible to have my desire set to disk drive, and access it at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

I don't think so, I think this a limitation with SD cards rather than a hardware/software problem with the handset
Or more accurately, the OS (rightly) isn't happy about allowing the SD card to be mounted on both the phone and the PC simultaneously, so it's not allowed.
For example; if the PC and the phone both tried to edit/move the same data - what then? :eek:
From the viewpoint of the OS implementation here (which is, after all, "only" providing a phone and some support functionality) this is more trouble than it's worth the effort of handling.

The SD card wouldn't play any part in whether this is allowed or not: it's just a dumb data storage device and wouldn't be aware of external punch-ups about what may or may not be allowed to access it.

If multiple processes were in agreement about which has access at any given time and some sort of file-locking was in place then the SD card would work just as effectively as if one process was accessing it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones