1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Setting SMS notifiction sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sargan, Jun 24, 2020.

1. sargan

sargan Newbie

Maybe I have just lost the plot, something that was simple on my S8, I can't figure out how to set on my S9.

I want to set a notification sound for SMS (as they are usually immediate priority) and a different notification sound for FB messages, messenger etc.

Ideally would also have WhatsApp share same alert as SMS if possible, or even another unique notifier.

How do I set this, could do it OK on my S8

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Have you tried looking in the SMS app's settings? That's where these things usually are (I don't have this phone so can't confirm Samsung haven't done something weird).

If you really can't find it then there's always the option of just using a different SMS app - there's nothing special about the manufacturer's own app. But there should be a way.

WhatsApp is easy: open WhatsApp, open its settings, click Notifications and the notification tone setting is in there.

Facebook I don't know. If there is such a setting it's well hidden, but I am always amazed at how such a wealthy company can write such crap software...

3. sargan

sargan Newbie

WhatsApp is fine, but Messenger & SMS seem to be linked ..... and I don't want same notifications for messenger & SMS
    Googling suggests Samsung has changed with Android ver9 that you cant have different sounds ... that seems bizarre.

4. Hadron

VIP Member

If that's Facebook Messenger then you can definitely change its sound: tap on your profile image in the app, scroll down to settings, and you can change the notification sound there. As that's a separate app from Samsung's SMS app doing this will not change the SMS notification (unless Samsung are breaking Android's sandboxing).

Of course Messenger can be set as your SMS app as well. If you've done that then you need to undo it (but if you open a different SMS app it ought to ask you to set it as the default SMS app, so that is simple. Or you can turn it off in Messenger's settings).

If there is no setting for the notification tone in the Samsung app and you don't like the default one then it's time to try a different SMS app. There are plenty out there to choose from.

5. wallflower3

wallflower3 Lurker

yup, there are plenty to choose from, but wouldn't it be awesome if we could record the sound we want and then put it as notification sound

6. Hadron

VIP Member

You can. Record the sound in a common format (mp3, aac, ogg should all work in my experience, doubtless others too) and put it in the Notifications folder on your device's internal storage. The system should then let you choose it for any app that lets you choose the notification sound.

Galaxy S9 Forum

The Galaxy S9 release date was March 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.8" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 9810 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2018
Release Date
Reviews