• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up a folder

J

jaidyn

Hi

I want to setup a folder that links to the files in my SD card.

I want to set it up using my HTC Desire, not via my PC.

I am currently going to + > Folder > New Folder

How do I rename it and set the target location?

Thanks in advance
Katie :)

I am unsure what it is you are asking for precisely.

With a file manager such as ASTRO you can browse your SD card:

ASTRO File Manager - Cyrket

chart

With it, you can also create a shortcut to a folder on your SD card, long press on screen, select short cut, then ASTRO.

Upvote 0
Yenzehn -

Sorry I dont know how much more precise I could have been on this post.

Basically when you create a new folder on your phones desktop following the steps I posted originally. It just creates a new folder, end of.

At the moment I have no idea where that folder was created, in terms of folder path. (e.g. c/documents and settings/desktop/folder) < made up route

I want to create a folder, name it something (other than "Folder") and make it locate to my SD card.

bdndk -

I opened the folder, clicked on the name, and it just closes the folder.

Happy to try any other suggestions anyone has...

Cheers
Katie

Upvote 0
I am unsure what it is you are asking for precisely.

With a file manager such as ASTRO you can browse your SD card:

ASTRO File Manager - Cyrket

chart

With it, you can also create a shortcut to a folder on your SD card, long press on screen, select short cut, then ASTRO.

Oh... also havnt installed the barcode scanner app yet :(

I'll check out my market now for one :D Thanks

This app might be an alternative solution to creating a folder to access my SD card. I'll let you know how I get on.

Katie

Upvote 0
The folders you have on your desktop can be renamed the way bdndk suggests, you have to long press the white bar after opening the folder.

However, the folder itself is not navigateable from your PC, it is simply a collection of shortcuts, and android 2.1 cannot place apps on the SD card.

The only way to browse the contents themselves are by using a file browser such as ASTRO which acts like a normal operation systems navigation with folders/subfolders.

Upvote 0
I didnt want to place apps on my SD card? Where did you get that impression?

Basically I saved a file onto my SD card from a soundboard that I installed, I am wanting to send this file to a friend via email. I cant find the file anywhere on my phone, so I tried creating a folder that would hopefully link me to my SD card contents.

I know I can get to the file via my computer, but I dont have access to my home PC / USB cable right now so I wanted an alternative solution to try and access my SD card.

(P.S. Downloaded the barcode app, just waiting for that other one to install now)

Upvote 0
Just to update -

The app just finished installing, this is better than what I was looking for. I found the file that I had saved on my SD card and after holding it down, it even has a Send option!

Very impressed - will be using this and scrapping the whole folder idea.

Thanks ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones