1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Setting up destop computer for Wireless Tethering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by teleburst, Aug 23, 2010.

1. teleburst

teleburst Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    I know that this is sort of stupid thing not to know, but how do you actually set up the link between the Eris and the desktop when using Wireless Tether? I went through the Wireless network Setup and I even went through Network Setup Wizard and Network Connections and still haven't been able to figure out how to actually initiate wireless tetherthing through wi-fi. I'm sure that it's something bonehead that I haven't considered.

The only time I've set up networks is with the help of ISP tech support or the ISP setup CD.

I went to the FAQ at the company that does Wireless Tether but couldn't find anything helpful.

I'm using XP.

Advertisement

2. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question, but does your desktop have a wifi adapter? I'm a laptop user, but I thought most desktop computers (except iMacs) are sold without wifi.

3. teleburst

May 18, 2010
    Not silly at all. And probably my problem.

Told you it was probably a bonehead thing.

4. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Hehe, its all good... I guess you'll have to do wired tether.

5. teleburst

May 18, 2010
    Don't know why I would assume that I was already set up for wi-fi. I'm not a laptop sort of guy.

I'll probably go to a wi-fi adapter of some sort. Unless there's some serious drawback to doing wireless.

I wonder if I could use my ATT DSL router, which has wi-fi, as the gateway to my Eris.

6. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Texas
    Once you set your Eris up for wireless thethering, you sort of manage it like a router. (i.e. broadcasting your SSID, encryption key, etc). There are USB wireless dongles (not entirely certain how I feel about that word yet) that are available for desktops if you don't wish to have a wired tether. The only drawback that could be a possibility is speed perhaps?

7. italygrl1

italygrl1 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Female
    College Student
    New York,US
    I got it working on mine wirelessly since i have a laptop but i would like to do it on my husband's desktop and wondering how to set it up wired?? Any help? Thanks.

8. lovewithyou880

lovewithyou880 New Member

Aug 19, 2011