1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Setting up free messaging using google

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by deltaforce, Aug 19, 2012.

1. deltaforce

deltaforce Android Enthusiast

Hello folks,

I have a heard a few times using google for free messaging. Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive guide that will guide me though such set up?

Secondly, DW does not have data access so it will be great if the app can switch between data and regular network depending on the availability.

Many thanks in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Google Voice is free texting (no MMS yet) but uses data. Google Talk is free too but is a chat, not real text.
    GV is a separate/another phone number. You can allow your texts to be forwarded to your 'regular' number, but then you will be charged for a text.
    With GV you can't "switch between data and regular network", it's data to send and receive OR a charge for regular texting through your carrier.
    GV is really a great service, you can do so much with it! www.google.com/voice/

3. deltaforce

So if I understand correctly, all messages sent using google voice will go with google voice number and not her real number, right?

4. Clementine_3

VIP Member

Yes.
    When you send a text using GV (either on the website or with the GV app) your GV number shows.
    It is data though, you said she doesn't have data??

Edit: What phone/service does she have? This may not be at all right for your/her situation...

5. deltaforce

She has Motorola Droid Razr and T-mobile Pay-As-You-Go. Majority of texting she does is for her work (but her job does not offer a phone and/or plan).

I am not only after free service but something that will work all the time. We don't get a good reception at home so majority of calls or texts are not received when she is at home.
    Getting a contract is not an option at the moment (with the economy as it is). Hence, I am looking into Fuzion Mobile as well. They have a small amount of data with their pay-as-you-go plan. I am not too sure even with Fuzion, I can leave data on all the time, unless I use an app that will firewall all data except for google voice app.

If you know any solution in such scene, will be glad to know.

6. Clementine_3

VIP Member

Well, at home she could use wi-fi if you have it or use the GV website on the PC/laptop to check/send texts.
    I don't know of a way to only allow GV to use data on the phone though, perhaps someone else will be able to help there.