• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up Hangouts

Micklanna

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
I have a Google Hangouts app on my phone and when I click on it a window appears asking me to confirm my phone number, but before I get the chance to do that another window appears saying -

"Update Required. An important new version of Hangouts is available. You need to update before you can continue using Hangouts."

When I click on "OK" another window appears, this time a black window, which says - "Unfortunately Hangouts has stopped"

And that's it ! How do I set up Hangouts on this phone ? I have it on my laptop but most of the time the person I call cannot hear me.

What are you using it for, or trying to use it for? Maybe there's something else that would work for you? There are a lot of messaging apps if that's what you want and other video calling apps too.

As I said, haven't used it in a while, I gave up on it because they changed the Google Voice integration and it crashed a lot. It became slow and unreliable, as you say, not worth the trouble for me either.

edit: you can try clearing cache and force stopping it, then try to update it again. Easy enough; settings/apps/hangouts/clear cache/clear data/force stop. Then go back into it and try to update.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones