• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Setting up hotspot with only 3g

skyemoor

Lurker
Dec 20, 2012
I need to use my Virgin Mobile HTC EVO 4G phone as a hotspot on my 1 hour bus commute, which takes me through areas without 4g (which is at least 1/2 of the commute, in and out of 4g coverage several times). I just received it and am trying to set it up as a hotspot at home as a test with only 3g coverage (no 4g coverage at the house). Most of the setup goes smoothly until I actually activate it, upon which time error 67 pops up (Data Call Failure) even though I've been using it to access the web via 3g with decent EVDO A signal strength (-75 db)

My laptop can see the SSID and can connect, though once the error 67 pops up, the wifi connection is dropped. I can't even successfully connect the laptop through the phone when the phone is using my home wifi.

Is there any way I can configure this phone to operate as a hotspot using 3g only?

EDIT:
Just noticed Virgin Mobile, so I'm not 100% sure what I posted below applies. My apologies for any confusion. :eek:

If on the stock rom, you need to pay for the hotspot add-on to your plan. If you don't have the subscription, it will shut off like that. I think its $30 a month to access the hotspot ability.

If rooted, we may need to explore other options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones