• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up new phone

JLT1963

Lurker
Oct 24, 2014
Florida, USA
I just got the galaxy s23ultra, and the guy at the store said "all you have to do is scan with old phone and android will do the rest", yeah right. I barely got started when my new phone says old phone needs an updated version of smart switch. We'll how am I suppose to do that when it is now deactivated?

I just got the galaxy s23ultra, and the guy at the store said "all you have to do is scan with old phone and android will do the rest", yeah right. I barely got started when my new phone says old phone needs an updated version of smart switch. We'll how am I suppose to do that when it is now deactivated?
First of all: What is "smart switch"? Is that an app?

Upvote 0

You should be able to sideload a later version of Smart Switch on the old phone yourself.

Doesn't matter if the phone is deactivated and doesn't have a SIM, as long as it's still functional and works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones