• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Setting wallpaper to native resolution

damstr

Android Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2010
Ok I've been fighting this problem ever since the OG Droid. All I'm trying to do is find out how to set a wallpaper to the phones native resolution. Aka not have it span the extra screens.

Currently when you go to set a wallpaper it comes up with a little outline of whatever and makes you crop it. This is what I'm trying to get around. I guess Google figures they want to have a wallpaper that matches the resolution when you take into consideration the extra screens you have. Well I have Nova Launcher and have scrollable wallpaper turned off.

Why something SO simple hasn't been fixed all these years amazes me. Reminds of me Apple....

If anyone has ever had a phone other then Android, you know when you set the wallpaper whatever the native resolution of your screen is matches the size of the wallpaper.

I got what you are saying.

The native screen resolution is 720 x 1280, but native wallpapers are actually 1440 x 1280 because of scrolling. However, Android always forces you to crop your wallpaper to "their dimensions". So, if you are using a static wallpaper setting like Nova, you need to tweak your wallpapers.

Basically, you want to embed a 720 x 1280 wallpaper on a 1440 x 1280 background. Then when you go to set the wallpaper, you stretch the cropping tool to its MAX size and it cuts out the "excess" background leaving only your 720 x 1280 image.

I'll post a sample in a minute....

Upvote 0
So, here is the black wallpaper you want as your wallpaper - laid out in the middle of a 1440 x 1280 red background (for visuals only, obviously it'd make more sense to do it on black)
IvkWL.jpg

Then here's maxxing the crop tool to edit out MOST of the red. When your done, you'll never see the two side "flaps" because you set Nova not to scroll.
uAYwG.jpg

HOWEVER, If you want to use AUTOROTATE on the homescreen, that's a different story. At least in Nova launcher, it tries to rotate the wallpaper but doesn't do it on the axis for some reason. Haven't quite figured out how to handle that....

If you let Nova autorotate the homescreen, it will do this to the wallpaper....

JrSKJ.jpg

--

Tim

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones