1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Settings app on Droid appears to be missing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oakley1261, Sep 17, 2010.

1. oakley1261

oakley1261 Active Member

Jan 28, 2010
    I seem to be having an issue with my stock Settings manager being missing after a miss-click by my girlfriend when she was using my phone. She accidentally hit the "Install" for the FRG22d when I had my droid running the original 2.2 rooted. It installed, and came back up. Root was gone, and so was the option to use Settings. It still shows when I hit the menu button, but if I select it, nothing happens. And it is also no longer listed in my app drawer now. I re-rooted my phone hoping it would bring it back, but it's still gone. Can I reinstall the APK for it? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I did do a search, but I didn't find anything pertaining to my issue. If I missed it I apologize.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. oakley1261

oakley1261 Active Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Well, It appears I can't even use my phone as phone at the moment. The phone app appears to be gone as well, along with my contacts. I guess I will just download the stock 2.2 update, re-flash and hope that fixes it. Unless anybody else has a better idea.

3. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    NorCal
    I'm too new at this to help, but heres a bump.

4. muab

muab Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    The "easy" answer to me would be to just flash a new ROM. It will have all that attached to it.

If you were rooted before, did you ever make a nandroid backup? Just install that and problem would be solved too...

5. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    texas
    Reason #1, 2 and 3 that nobody but me touches my Droid ...

6. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    I have to agree. "Take my Eggo...Leggo my phone!" :D

Install a new ROM and you should be fine. You should even be able to load the rooted FRG22D ROM over what you have without wiping...but I recommend a fresh start.

7. oakley1261

oakley1261 Active Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Well, I tried installing the frg22d update again, still had the same issue. Then I tried installing the normal release of 2.2 on my phone, still had the same issue. I ended up restoring from a backup I took a few months ago. I lost quite a bit of data, but at least I didn't lose everything. And I did take a backup of the problem rom before I restored just in case.

I'm thinking I will restore my broken rom, and use a data backup utility to backup seperate program data, and other info. Then just re-image my currently good rom with that backup so I don't lose everything. I still find it odd that it killed a bunch of stock apps on my phone, but oh well. :)

Thanks for all the replies. :)