• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Setup up a new sd card for a non-rooted phone?

BloodBlade

May 2, 2012
hi

i wanted to know if someone can provide a step by step set of directions for setting up a new sd card for my mom's non-rooted phone? I don't want to root my mom's phone cause I personally don't think she would benefit from it and i think she would have trouble understanding how to fully use it if it was rooted. I have a 32 gb sd card for my rooted phone but i wasn't sure if you setup a sd card differently with a non rooted phone. honestly, it's been a while since i setup my card and i forgot how i did it. If someone can provide explicit directions on setting up a new sd card for a non rooted phone i'd really appreciate it. here is the card i am interested in getting for my mom:

SanDisk Ultra 16GB microSDHC Class 10 Memory Card SDSDQUI-016G-A11 - Best Buy

thanks in advance. :)

hi

wow its that easy?? i feel silly now lol. anyway before i do that of course i backup her stuff on her phone by connecting it to usb to the computer and dragging and dropping her folders onto a temp folder on my computer correct? are there any specific folders i should backup tho? thanks pal.

Upvote 0
hi

wow its that easy?? i feel silly now lol. anyway before i do that of course i backup her stuff on her phone by connecting it to usb to the computer and dragging and dropping her folders onto a temp folder on my computer correct? are there any specific folders i should backup tho? thanks pal.

Either hook it up to a USB cable or just take the card out and put it in a card reader on your PC select all the entire card back it up to a folder on your PC then after the new card is 4matted just copy everything and put it back on the new card. Super easy.

Reactions: BloodBlade
Upvote 0
Hi guys

I have the sd card now but I forgot to ask this other question. I'm not sure if you have to root your phone to do this but when I format this sd card for my mom's phone how do I increase her "internal storage available space"? I haven't did what you guys told me to do with her sd card yet that's why I ask. See the reason why I got her a bigger capacity sd card was cause she was running low on space cause of frequent updates for example. I know that you can move programs you already installed to your sd card in manage applicatons but is there a app that can make that easier?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi guys

I have the sd card now but I forgot to ask this other question. I'm not sure if you have to root your phone to do this but when I format this sd card for my mom's phone how do I increase her "internal storage available space"? I haven't did what you guys told me to do with her sd card yet that's why I ask. See the reason why I got her a bigger capacity sd card was cause she was running low on space cause of frequent updates for example. I know that you can move programs you already installed to your sd card in manage applicatons but is there a app that can make that easier?

Thanks in advance.

You can use like apps to SD or link to SD you might have to be rooted to even use those. Otherwise you need to root the phone. The only way you're going to increase internal memory.

Upvote 0
Hey cwhatever

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I found a app like that doesn't require root access. Thanks again pal.

Your welcome. You should think about rooting the phone put a custom ROM on it or even use half ass ROM which is just like being stock and then have unlimited internal memory. the phone will also work just like it's working today. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Your welcome. You should think about rooting the phone put a custom ROM on it or even use half ass ROM which is just like being stock and then have unlimited internal memory. the phone will also work just like it's working today. Good luck.

Hey cwhatever

I'm thinking I may do that. But what do you mean exactly by half ass rom? Do u mean any other rom? Can u point me in the direction of getting that rom ur referring to? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones