• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SEVEN - fast push email

JM33

Oct 26, 2009
Maui, HI
I didn't find any threads about this app so I thought I'd share with everyone. I have been using SEVEN for push email for a few days now and its great. The app is beta but so far I haven't found any flaws. You can sign up for it here:

SEVEN Beta Program :: Welcome to SEVEN Beta Program

You have to download the app from their site and then, before you install, make sure you go into SETTINGS >> APPLICATIONS >> UNKNOWN SOURCES and check it to allow the phone to install apps that are not from the market. Also, I told the site I was using an HTC magic, the app works just fine, full screen on the droid.

I don't really need push but my brother is thinking of buying a droid also, and he has a blackberry which he uses for his business and depends on push email.

I tested the speed of the push email versus the native gmail app, and it was actually faster for me! I just forwarded an email from my hotmail account and i got a notification in less than 30 sec from SEVEN, while the gmail app took over 1 min. :eek: Now I have turned off the notifications in the gmail app, so I only get one notification for new mail.

The app has a combined inbox for all accounts (home) and at the top you can view each account separately by clicking the account you want. It has preset settings for the major email accounts like gmail, yahoo, msn etc., or you can setup another account manually. I believe this will only work with POP/IMAP accounts.

The only downside I have found is the emails are not HTML format, text only. But you can still click on links, a lot of emails will direct you to an HTML website to view the email if you really want to see the pictures.

Check it out for yourselves and let us all know what you think. The site has its own forum for feedback so please use it if you are having issues. Beta apps need testers to report directly to the developers, so griping about something here will not help it improve.

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do! :D

Why would I sacrifice my HTML email for a few seconds of speed? This program also takes up more memory, and I dont like how secretive it is. I can't see screenshots, any explanations or even a users guide on their website. I like to know what it is I'm installing before I install it.

Because it's push email, which may not be important to you, but maybe for some. I personally do not get a ton of emails so I cannot tell how much battery drain is affected for everyone. For me at least it drains very little battery all day, versus having the native email app on 1 minute polling. Perhaps others can test and share their results.

HTML emails are of very little importance to me. And if I really want to see it, I can either click a link provided in the email or open up the email app, refresh and open it.

I'm sure there are many small business users (without exchange servers) out there who will appreciate what this app has to offer, despite what it lacks.

Upvote 0
Veeeeeeeery nice! I really like this for my work option since native push, TD and K9 weren't cutting it for me. What's weird is where all the rest failed, Seven logged me and started pushing like there wasn't no tomorrow. Is there way to change the email ringtone so it's not using the Droid's basic notification tone? Thanks OP!

Upvote 0
Anyone using this on the Sprint Hero? I'm mainly interested in it for it's push (like the stock app) and readability (unlike stock app - tiny fonts - but like the HTC app). I don't want to install it if it can't do those two things together. HTML would be nice but not necessary and I'm sure it will come in a future update.

Will this be free when it comes out of beta?

Upvote 0
Also, it includes an IM application as well.

I installed this on the Android 2.1 emulator, and it appeared to render some HTML email. I really like the unified inbox style since it has the symbol of the hosting service (Gmail, Yahoo...) next to each message. The only thing I don't like is the 50k email size limit. It also has a messages from past 120 days limit. I would like it to let me set an 'unlimited' email size limit, and a number of days limit to 'all'.

It didn't sync Yahoo Contact's in the emulator, nor did it pull down any Gmail from the Gmail account I set it up with. But, on to my Sprint Hero for some live testing...

Upvote 0
Well, after using this new Seven Email app, I'm impressed with the look, but it's got a few problems.

I can only delete one message at a time since there isn't anyway to delete multiple messages.

It's seems to be using POP and has no setting to delete mail off the server. In fact, it puts deleted email in the Trash folder in the app on the phone so you have to delete email twice to save memory.

It does not appear to support IMAP at all it seems.

Upvote 0
I didn't find any threads about this app so I thought I'd share with everyone. I have been using SEVEN for push email for a few days now and its great. The app is beta but so far I haven't found any flaws. You can sign up for it here:

SEVEN Beta Program :: Welcome to SEVEN Beta Program

You have to download the app from their site and then, before you install, make sure you go into SETTINGS >> APPLICATIONS >> UNKNOWN SOURCES and check it to allow the phone to install apps that are not from the market. Also, I told the site I was using an HTC magic, the app works just fine, full screen on the droid.

I don't really need push but my brother is thinking of buying a droid also, and he has a blackberry which he uses for his business and depends on push email.

I tested the speed of the push email versus the native gmail app, and it was actually faster for me! I just forwarded an email from my hotmail account and i got a notification in less than 30 sec from SEVEN, while the gmail app took over 1 min. :eek: Now I have turned off the notifications in the gmail app, so I only get one notification for new mail.

The app has a combined inbox for all accounts (home) and at the top you can view each account separately by clicking the account you want. It has preset settings for the major email accounts like gmail, yahoo, msn etc., or you can setup another account manually. I believe this will only work with POP/IMAP accounts.

The only downside I have found is the emails are not HTML format, text only. But you can still click on links, a lot of emails will direct you to an HTML website to view the email if you really want to see the pictures.

Check it out for yourselves and let us all know what you think. The site has its own forum for feedback so please use it if you are having issues. Beta apps need testers to report directly to the developers, so griping about something here will not help it improve.

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do! :D

I installed the beta Seven app today. When I first start Seven,it takes me to the Home screen, which shows a list of my email accounts, Search Contacts, and Add Account (the icons for each of these are also shown at the top) - this is not a unified inbox so I'm wondering how you were able to set it up so that you get a unified inbox for all email accounts.

Also, how can I add the Seven IM app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones