• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Several Problems with my Thunderbolt

bezerk19

Android Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Okay so i just bought this recently, which wasn't purchased through Verizon. its a brand new phone and now Verizon is giving me the run around saying that the phone doesn't have any warranty because it wasn't purchased through them. Before they said (when i activated the phone) that it had a 1 year manufacture's warranty because its new never been activated before.

Anyway....

the problems I'm having with this is the following:
- Random restarts
- the Thunderbolt boot screen is displayed in a restart and looks like it stuck, then it restarts again.
- playing Slacker radio or music will cause a restart (after several song skips)
- programs close (not a force close) they just close. (similar behavior as if you pressed on the home button)
- when set on Vibrate and it restarts, the phone will boot up in silent mode.

Am I the only one having this problem??

Should i continue to bitch and complain with Verizon to have them honor the manufacture's warranty? I just activated this phone on Saturday. Or should I contact HTC and try and get a replacement from them?

I would go into your local Verizon store and create a huge scene. Make sure everyone else in the store knows your problem.

At first I was told to take it into a Verizon store to get it replaced since it was new and recently activated. However, at the verizon store they told me I can't get it replaced because I didn't buy it from a verizon store and he gave me their so called replacement policy (he was just being an "a" and didn't want to replace it).

I'm not one to cause scenes but I was getting close to it. I'm not sure why customer service is so stubborn sometimes, I had a similar incident with the Droid X, but after several calls someone at their Customer service (800 number) sent me a replacement.

Upvote 0
Okay so i just bought this recently, which wasn't purchased through Verizon. its a brand new phone and now Verizon is giving me the run around saying that the phone doesn't have any warranty because it wasn't purchased through them. Before they said (when i activated the phone) that it had a 1 year manufacture's warranty because its new never been activated before.

Anyway....

the problems I'm having with this is the following:
- Random restarts
- the Thunderbolt boot screen is displayed in a restart and looks like it stuck, then it restarts again.
- playing Slacker radio or music will cause a restart (after several song skips)
- programs close (not a force close) they just close. (similar behavior as if you pressed on the home button)
- when set on Vibrate and it restarts, the phone will boot up in silent mode.

Am I the only one having this problem??

Should i continue to bitch and complain with Verizon to have them honor the manufacture's warranty? I just activated this phone on Saturday. Or should I contact HTC and try and get a replacement from them?

Okay so this is interesting, I've been running the phone on WIFI and it seems to be running a lot better, no more restarts and Slacker works great. Any suggestions??

Upvote 0
If you're in a 4g area, pop the battery, pull the SIM card. Put them both back and restart. Turn on 3g/4g.

If that makes no difference, go back to VzW and ask for a new SIM card. I just got one this weekend, they're fairly willing to hand out replacement SIMs to try to solve problems. If you're not in a 4g area, don't bother, the SIM card is meaningless for 3g.

Have you messed with anything in the hidden technical menus accessed either by the phone dialer, or the Phone Info app or LTEOnOff app? Did you immediately re-mess with those settings after your factory reset? You might want to leave the radio settings on factory for a few days if you are changing these settings.

Upvote 0
If you're in a 4g area, pop the battery, pull the SIM card. Put them both back and restart. Turn on 3g/4g.

If that makes no difference, go back to VzW and ask for a new SIM card. I just got one this weekend, they're fairly willing to hand out replacement SIMs to try to solve problems. If you're not in a 4g area, don't bother, the SIM card is meaningless for 3g.

Have you messed with anything in the hidden technical menus accessed either by the phone dialer, or the Phone Info app or LTEOnOff app? Did you immediately re-mess with those settings after your factory reset? You might want to leave the radio settings on factory for a few days if you are changing these settings.

Well this is a "brand new phone", I haven't messed with the settings who's to say the previous owner did, but could someone please let me know what the default settings would be for the hidden technical options?

4G Coverage is available in San Antonio, which is awesome I've been able to get anywhere between 15-21mb download speeds.

I'll try to pull the battery and the sim card see if that makes a difference. Also I'm not sure where the 3G/4G enabling option is, i didn't think there was one and as for the phone info app I don't have it installed, so I've never tried it either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones