• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Several Questions, Help Needed! Please!

ASayers93

Lurker
Jan 25, 2011
Hey everyone, I've just got some questions about some apps in general; I have the Droid X by the way.

1.) I have Beautiful Widgets installed, I love it, but with the new update I cannot download new skins? An error message shows where the list of skins is supposed to. Anyone else have this problem?

2.) Launcher Apps, on my friends Fascinate after he downloaded ADW Launcher, when he would press the home button, he would be asked what screen to view. On my phone, it doesn't work when I do that, the downloaded launcher overrides the default launcher. I have no defualts saved or anything. Any suggestions?

3.) Facebook Contact Pictures, Facebook is the major source for all of my contact pictures, and when I or a friend changes their profile picture, the contact picture does not update with it. Any suggestions?

4.) In your opinion, what is the best Text Messaging app?

5.) In your opinion, what is the best Launcher app?

6.) How can you connect your Droid with iTunes to sync music? I've heard of people doing it.

7.) Are there any other really neat apps or addicting games that you can suggest?

Sorry everyone, I know that I have asked a lot of questions, and any insight would be helpful! I hope everyone as a great weekend!

Well Launcher Pro came with this ROM I flashed and aside from it hanging on boot occasionally its good. I may try out GoLauncher someday. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Messaging I've switched to Handcent SMS. Replaces the stock messaging app.

Only game I've ever played thru on a mobile device is Angry Birds. Alchemy and Bonsai Blast are kind of cool but I prefer a PC for gaming.

Want to find a lost phone? Seek Droid is my choice. Very cool location tool. Passwords? Sync between Dropbox and use Keepass Droid. I have hundreds of passwords that always change so its used everyday. Allows me to keep an encrypted copy of my password database to share between the phone and my other computers.

Upvote 0
Droid X was my last phone so I know a couple of these are specific to your phone

1.) I have Beautiful Widgets installed, I love it, but with the new update I cannot download new skins? An error message shows where the list of skins is supposed to. Anyone else have this problem?

I haven't had any problems downloading skins

2.) Launcher Apps, on my friends Fascinate after he downloaded ADW Launcher, when he would press the home button, he would be asked what screen to view. On my phone, it doesn't work when I do that, the downloaded launcher overrides the default launcher. I have no defualts saved or anything. Any suggestions?

On the Droid X once you choose a different launcher that becomes default and you can't go back to the default home without uninstalling your new launcher

3.) Facebook Contact Pictures, Facebook is the major source for all of my contact pictures, and when I or a friend changes their profile picture, the contact picture does not update with it. Any suggestions?

There is an app called "Photo Unlocker" buy the donate version and set it to unlock pictures automatically everyday. Then the apps that can't use facebook pictures or don't update will always be updated.

4.) In your opinion, what is the best Text Messaging app?

Handcent. So many options to customize, emoji and location plug ins, I have tried a lot and I always come back to Handcent

5.) In your opinion, what is the best Launcher app?

LauncherPro, pay for Plus. It is worth the money to get the widgets. Best facebook widget on the market IMO is one of the great advantages of paying for Plus

6.) How can you connect your Droid with iTunes to sync music? I've heard of people doing it.

An app called "DoubleTwist" Install it on your phone, then also download the desktop version to your computer. From what I have heard it works great for iTunes syncing

7.) Are there any other really neat apps or addicting games that you can suggest?

Slacker, Pandora, AppAlarm Pro, Smart Shortcuts, MusicJunk, Gas Buddy, I could go on forever, but those are a few of my favorites

Almost forgot - Tasker - best app you could possibly buy :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones