• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Severe battery drain all of the sudden

HTC Evo 4g
Android 2.3.5
Software: 4.67.651.3

I'm looking for any suggestions on this one. I haven't made any changes or received any updates, and all of the sudden my phone is experiencing some severe battery drain.

I have the usual settings to conserve battery:
- 4g, wifi, GPS and BlueTooth are off.
- Screen is dimmed
- I'm only syncing email and Facebook
- no animations, no button press sounds

As of a couple days ago, I've been getting 5 hours of IDLE usage. I don't even use my phone and it's down to 30% by noon.

Battery Usage shows Dialer at 29% even though I haven't made any calls this morning. I tried using the Watchdog app but don't see anything with really high CPU usage.

What can I check?

EDIT: Just thought of something. A couple days ago I did switch my phone to Airplane mode, could that have triggered something? Thanks

HTC Evo 4g
Android 2.3.5
Software: 4.67.651.3

I'm looking for any suggestions on this one. I haven't made any changes or received any updates, and all of the sudden my phone is experiencing some severe battery drain.

I have the usual settings to conserve battery:
- 4g, wifi, GPS and BlueTooth are off.
- Screen is dimmed
- I'm only syncing email and Facebook
- no animations, no button press sounds

As of a couple days ago, I've been getting 5 hours of IDLE usage. I don't even use my phone and it's down to 30% by noon.

Battery Usage shows Dialer at 29% even though I haven't made any calls this morning. I tried using the Watchdog app but don't see anything with really high CPU usage.

What can I check?

EDIT: Just thought of something. A couple days ago I did switch my phone to Airplane mode, could that have triggered something? Thanks

Honestly the drain could be any number of things including the battery going out. Airplane mode should if anything increase your battery life as it turns off radios. This keeps the phone for constantly checking for a signal. If sprint is working on the tower in your area that can cause it as the tower will be on and off causing the phone to look for signal. There could also be some other outside interference causing your issues. I would think that the battery is the place to start.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I don't know why this worked, but I unchecked the Accounts & Sync -> "Background data" option, waited, then checked it again. The battery drain is back to normal (at 80% by 1:00pm now) and has been since I made this "change" - shortly after posting this.

Thanks again

Thanks for posting up your solution!! :)

I'm glad argedions suggestions worked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones