1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SG2 Battery dies in 10 hours?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hidehide, Jun 15, 2011.

1. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i have quite a few apps. quite a lot of games, but none of these were running so i wont list em here. widgets that are running: accuweather, google search, AP mobile news,email, 2 picture frames, google music, jango radio, pulse news, google tasks organizer, norton utilities, battery widget, circle launcher..
    the two occasions i clearly remember it heating up were when i was using 3G to locate myself on Maps, n search facebook places/foursquare etc..
    and today, when i used 3G with this software called millenium trader, which manages an account and updates the price of spot gold. i dont think its one of the apps though, coz they work fine on wifi
    wonder if any update (KF2, KF4) fixed this issue?

Advertisement

2. Blue1k

Blue1k Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2009
    Teacher/Web Design
    Cloverdale, BC
    What is your phone's firmware.

Dial *#1234# to find out.

3. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i recently flashed it to KE7

PDA: I9100XWKE7
    PHONE: I9100XWKE4
    CSC: I9100XEUKD1

4. Blue1k

None

Oct 1, 2009
    Teacher/Web Design
    Cloverdale, BC

Flash to KF2. Available on xda with new modem for euro model which is what you have. KE7 sucked on my phone.

heshanj likes this.
  5. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yeah, was thinking of doing that.. i started another thread here about the firmware thing coz i was a bit confused with the CSC part.. i think the KF2 one they have on xda is Generic OXA (Poland) does that mean the CSC is different (for Poland) and wat difference will this have on my phone? currently im on XEU.. is this the euro one ur referring to on xda:

XXKF2:
    Firmware info
    PDA:XXKF2
    PHONE: XXKF2
    CSC:OXAKF2

6. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    The firmware confuses me to. I am on KE7 at the minute. I would like to upgrade but I dont understand the CSC? KF2 says Generic OXA Poland, what does that mean?

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

sorry to post the same thing in many threads, but after using KF2 for a day on a full night's charge, i noticed no improvement in battery life. got 12-13 hours with everything on :D which is wat i got on KE1 and KE7.

8. hidehide

hidehide Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Ok, after freezing Wifi sharing and turning off Fast Dormancy, and also removing all the accounts in SocialHub (so no more push or pull if it is using), I managed to get 21hr life. The past few days, the battery is gone in 12 hours.

I unplugged it at 12am, and when I woke up in 8am this morning, surprisingly, it still has 91% battery. But I wonder why I have a high Android OS %....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    My battery life has improved with KF2, I have noticed my Android OS drops lower now. Before it never used to go below 40% It does still remain high sometimes though. My battery was at 37% after 10 hours where as with KE7 it would have been more like 20%

10. abhiroopb

abhiroopb Member
    None

Aug 19, 2009
    My battery drops quite quickly. But what is more troubling is that at night it steadly drops at a rate of 10% per hour. During this time my phone is completely off and being unused, although data is syncing in the background. This in particular is what is troubling. During the day when I use the phone it tends to get very hot at certain points and the battery does drop quite fast. I usually have to leave my phone charging whenever I am near an outlet.

I just got my battery replaced today so hopefully I won't have the problem anymore.

11. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    It all sounds a bit farcical to me.

People having to kill apps and processes (wasn't android supposed to do all that itself? What if you're not technically minded?). Turning data sync off? Using drab backgrounds?

It sounds too much treating symptoms rather than the underlying issue.

12. abhiroopb

abhiroopb Member
    None

Aug 19, 2009
    I have changed my battery but nothing has changed. When I am not using the phone. The battery drops by about 10% every hour. So no matter what I do with the phone, the absolutely maximum the phone will last is 10 hours. Of course since I use the phone it usually lasts about five hours between charges. What's really strange is that I spent an hour on the phone today and the battery dropped by 5%. Is there any reason why the battery may drop more while I the screen is off an the phone is not being used?

13. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    It was never going to be your battery mate.

You have a rogue app. You need to wipe that handset and start again.

14. abhiroopb

abhiroopb Member
    None

Aug 19, 2009
    So. I have to install every application an monitor it individually? Is there an application I can use to monitor?

15. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    That's about the size if it. Yep.

An app? Just use your eyes and common sense.

16. hidehide

hidehide Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    abhiroopb, what I suggest you to do is just to try a factory reset. And then, try to use it one day without any 3rd party application installed. You should have at least 24hrs+ usage under light use. If not, your phone definitely has some problem.

I fixed mine by finding "Talkbox", "Wifi sharing" as the battery drainer. Hope you can find yours soon!

17. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    i had a similar bad battery life. did a hard factory reset, through some short test with bugger all apps on it seemed the same. took it to the samsung center - techie did a quick test to find a "higher than normal" voltage drain. its in the shop...waiting for outcome.

18. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Owner
    Jacksonville, FL
    Is it possible that you are showing high Android OS percentage because you are looking at what your device did while you are sleeping. It used less power for the screen which would make the Android OS the top user of your power. Mine does he same over night. Likely everyones does.

19. abhiroopb

abhiroopb Member
    None

Aug 19, 2009
    Thanks all I uninstalled all apps (include Talkbox) and the battery dropped about 10% in 6 hours. That's the kind of usage I am looking at on a phone like this. I'm going to slowly start reinstalling the apps and see the situation.

20. Blue1k

None

Oct 1, 2009
    Teacher/Web Design
    Cloverdale, BC
    Why not freeze apps I suggested. It fixes the problem. It's really simple to do.

21. deltatech

deltatech Newbie
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    I find it interesting that everyone that is showing off their usage graphs have AWAKE as a broken intermittent line. For me, it is solid blue from one side of the graph to the other.

I am getting 8-10 hours out of my battery but it is only it's 3rd day since I got my phone.

I have frozen all my wifi management apps and social hub. I have my email not checking but instead it waits for me to check it, I have been running the Watchdog Task Manager and have no apps that seem to be running away with CPU. And my phone does NOT get hot.

Can anyone tell me what keeps the AWAKE line solid? I am running some apps that monitor for data constantly like IM+, Skype, and Gtalk. could these be the culprits?

22. deltatech

deltatech Newbie
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    I have had terrible battery life in my new SG2. This is day 3 and I have always charged the battery all the way up, and ran it all the way down before charging again. It has been thru that cycle 5 times now in 3 days.

My phone does not get hot like others have reported. I have frozen the wifi management apps as well as the social hub. All email checking is done manually, the only apps that are constantly waiting on data are IM+ and Skype.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    wow...look at all those active apps up the top, get rid of them dude, either one of them is sucking your juice or you have a faulty battery. the only icon i have is 3g watchdog. (other than the battery and signal strength)

day 3 and you have alot installed by the looks of it?. back up your contacts etc, wipe it or uninstall all the new apps and install them one at a time.....keeping an eye on the awake time.

personaly i would point fingers at skype and any "juice defender" you have. its a long running debate but i get over a days battery life without running it. once i have run several cycles, im going to try it and see the difference for myself, but i dont expect much difference.

24. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

agreed, battery saving apps are not necessary, ive read a lot about it. like task killers, they dont really help:D i'd check ur skype too. and latitude, are u signed in? even if u dont have auto location update on latitude, u should sign out when not using it. ur phone is awake almost 100% of the time, no wonder u got barely 8 hours. u need to figure out which apps are causing it. i assume ur rooted, coz u froze apps, so i recommend u check out "better battery stats" from the market. follow the instructions, it'll show u which apps wake ur phone. try to control those. and which firmware are u on? KG5 and KH3 make huge improvements

25. deltatech

deltatech Newbie
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    I had a motorola Atrix for a week which I returned and got the SG2 instead. Back on the Atrix, things like Juice Defender and 3G switching apps were necessary. It seems that the Galaxy 2 has most of this built in so I don't use any of them.

All those apps u saw on top are.. Line2 which is a voip application, IM+ which is my IM app and Skype. I need those. But I can kill them for a day to see what happens.

Also Lookout which I think I will get rid of. And Guage Battery Widget which I think I will get rid of also.

I have killed ALL of the above apps to see if the phone would go to sleep but it does not. Even without those, the phone stays awake.

But my watchdog isn't giving them any credit for cpu usage. If we can trust Watchdog.