• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SGN2 making SD-cards corrupt!

Hello AF. I tried searching for similar threads, but found nothing.

I have a quite serious problem with my GN2. This first occurred some 2 months ago. Un-rooted phone. Suddenly upon restarting my phone, I get an error message saying "SD card is damaged". When clicking the message I get an option to format the SD card, and therefore losing everything on it. I try formatting the card, but this doesn't work, and I still get the same error message. I try putting the SD-card in the computer, which also tells me that I have to format it. I do so, but whatever I do, I can't get it to work.

Great. Not only did I lose all my files, but the phone actually made the whole card corrupt and unusable. This was a Sandisk 16GB card. Ok, what the heck, these things happen. Maybe I dropped the phone or something.

Yesterday, the same thing happened! My phone is now rooted, with stock ROM. Error message saying "SD Card damaged", I try to format it both on the phone and my computer, but to no avail. This card broken aswell. This was a 8GB Samsung SD-card.

So, have anyone here experienced similar incidents?
Does anyone have any idea how I can make the SD-card work again?
Does anyone know why my phone is a card-wrecker and if I can do anything about it?
Can I demand Samsung to reimburse me the 2 cards?
Will it help in any way notifying Samsung about this?

I have never in my life experienced a SD-card beeing broken like this, and I've had quite a lot of them over the years. I am now going to put a 256 MB card in the phone (this one I don't mind beeing broken), and see how long it takes until this happens again.

I hope no one has had the same problem as me and that it's just my particular phone that's the problem here. Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Upvote 0
You're not the only one.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/707836-sd-card-not-working.html

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/692537-firmware-updates-toast-msd-card.html

So far, all 32GB cards in 3 Note 2s are working fine. No problems with them yet. Two of them Sandisk and one of them Samsung. I also have another 32GB Sandisk card in my Note 10.1 as well. They still working without any issues encountered yet. Mixed formats (exFAT and FAT32).

Yes I agree have a Samsung 32GB card, installed it when I had my Note last October never had any problems also have all the software updates

Upvote 0
There has been discussions about Sandisk 32Gb/64GB cards in other forums. Apparently there is a known issue with their controllers affecting those cards. It almost 50/50 chance it will get corrupted at some point, like a time bomb. Just happened to mine 32GB Class 10 Sandisk card after 4 months of using without any problem. Started with mounting/unmounting crap for a few days until it told me to reformat the card. I took it out of the phone, used SD adapter to plug into laptop to save all the pictures. Now put it back into the phone, and its working OK, but I don't trust it anymore. From everything I heard, better to go with Samsung 32GB micro-sd Class 10 card. Those are more reliable than stamped-out mass produced Sandisk where quality control seem to be flaky.

Upvote 0
There has been discussions about Sandisk 32Gb/64GB cards in other forums. Apparently there is a known issue with their controllers affecting those cards. It almost 50/50 chance it will get corrupted at some point, like a time bomb. Just happened to mine 32GB Class 10 Sandisk card after 4 months of using without any problem. Started with mounting/unmounting crap for a few days until it told me to reformat the card. I took it out of the phone, used SD adapter to plug into laptop to save all the pictures. Now put it back into the phone, and its working OK, but I don't trust it anymore. From everything I heard, better to go with Samsung 32GB micro-sd Class 10 card. Those are more reliable than stamped-out mass produced Sandisk where quality control seem to be flaky.

I have to agree. I think it's also because all their current class 10 cards are also classified as UHS-I. Newer speed class with newer tech (ie. faster FSB). Should be backwards compatible, but it looks like there's a flaw somewhere. Either the Note 2 hardware/drivers (since it's not a UHS-I compliant device) affecting it, or the hardware in the card itself. It's a real hit and miss.

I noticed the OP also mentioned an 8GB Samsung got toasted too. That would probably indicate a flaw with the Note 2 hardware. Probably the card reader on the fritz. Or the OP is very unlucky and got flaky cards to begin with.

I'll have to keep an eye on my Sandisk 32GB cards. Although they are fully black, straight Class 10 (non-UHS-I) cards (not the dual coloured Class 10/UHS-I). They are still operating fine, but only time will tell how good they really are. I'm also keeping backups of the card just in case.

Upvote 0
yup, I have a sandisk 32g sd card in my SGN2 and it is coming up with (at first) that the card was unexpectedly removed then says it is broken and to reformat it.Unfortunately I got my sd card from Crazy John's and they have all closed down now,I need the sd card for extra space as mine is only 16gb and I don't want to crowd it with my music and movies (which I have on my sd card).Anyone suggest a better brand? the SANDISK ones were the only ones I could find.

Upvote 0
Like me, you can take a breath....it's not your phone, peeps. The inaccessible disk and battery drain are linked to the manufacturing of some faulty 32 and 64GB SanDisk micro SDs.

SanDisk is standing behind their product. They have admitted to a problem arising with a small production batch, saying it has been corrected. Further, they have offered 'an immediate resolution for users who contact their support center'.

Hope this helps. :D

SanDisk cops to malfunctioning Micro SDs in Galaxy S3s ? The Register

Upvote 0
Like me, you can take a breath....it's not your phone, peeps. The inaccessible disk and battery drain are linked to the manufacturing of some faulty 32 and 64GB SanDisk micro SDs.

SanDisk is standing behind their product. They have admitted to a problem arising with a small production batch, saying it has been corrected. Further, they have offered 'an immediate resolution for users who contact their support center'.

Hope this helps. :D

SanDisk cops to malfunctioning Micro SDs in Galaxy S3s ? The Register

This will help a lot of people, thanks! Thank gawd I use Transcend cards. :D

Upvote 0
Maybe this is why Google (and Apple many moons ago) decided to go away from SD cards...they are too volatile and unreliable.

If they don't want us to use the cards then don't make it take 5 minutes to transfer 50 songs from laptop to my phone without an sd card! Transferring files without the sd is very slow and annoying. As I've stated in other threads, when using Windows explorer looking at the phone card , media files are very limited on what you can do with them...like Windows almost can't recognize your phone and vise versa. (Can't see thumbnail preview of pictures, can only open videos with winamp etc. ) so I'm almost forced to get an sd micro card for media transferring and viewing purposes.

Upvote 0
I've seen this happen with my old Galaxy S2, when I just took out my battery to swap it for a fully charged one. I didn't bother to shut down the phone properly. My guess is that this happened while the OS was still writing stuff to the SD card.

Since then, I NEVER take out the battery (or the micro SD card) without properly shutting down my phone first.

Upvote 0
For clarity, there are 2 issues being discussed in this thread:

1. There is a recognized prob with a number of SanDisk 32 & 64GB cards
2. Some mobile phone users advise that properly shutting down your device will prevent corruption and/or data loss to your micro SD.

Owners of SanDisk cards that have become corrupt can contact them for a replacement (link in previous post). I believe this addresses the OP's question. Since there does not appear to be other brands of micro SDs reported as having issues, perhaps this thread should be locked.

NOTE: It is highly advisable to turn off ANY/ALL electronics before replacing data cards and/or batteries. Although it is a rare occurrence, issues can arise. All electronics manufacturers tell you in their manuals to first turn the equipment off (check your camera's operating instructions, unknowing DSLR owners sometimes suffer the same fate). :wavey:

Upvote 0
This has happened to me and my wife. it happend to me 3 times. Twice on my GN2 and once on my Galaxy Tab 2. My GN2 and tablet both had 16GB patriot sd cards. Both failed at the same time. Called patriot support and they replaced both cards. was on vacation last week and taking pictures with my phone and the card failed again. I'm glad I brought my real camera. As my wife turned her phone back on after the plane landed she also received an message stating her card was corrupt and needs to be reformatted. Her card was a polaroid. So in this thread we are seeing Samsung, SanDisk, Polaroid and Patriot cards being corrupted and not just buy the phones.

Upvote 0
I bought my Samsang Galaxy II phone from Virgin five months ago. I then bought a San Disk Ultra 32 GB Micro SD HC-1 from Amazon. It came in the plastic packaging that I had to cut with scissors (adapter included). I transferred my music via Android File Transfer from m MacBook Pro via USB cable for five months with no problem. Then last week my phone would no longer mount my card, saying it is either damaged or blank. I was very careful to eject the card from my Mac after transferring music to it and then mounting it to the phone. What is weird is that I tried to reformat it from my phone but cannot. When I put the card into my MacBook, all my music is still there and I can play it on my Mac with no problem. But my SGS2 still won't mount it and says that it is "blank". Otherwise, the phone works fine. If SD cards are going to cause problems, I'm ditching Android phones. The aggravation is not worth it. I also tried deleting the files in the LOST.DIR directory via Android File Transfer on my Mac and cannot do so.

Upvote 0
I bought my Samsang Galaxy II phone from Virgin five months ago. I then bought a San Disk Ultra 32 GB Micro SD HC-1 from Amazon. It came in the plastic packaging that I had to cut with scissors (adapter included). I transferred my music via Android File Transfer from m MacBook Pro via USB cable for five months with no problem. Then last week my phone would no longer mount my card, saying it is either damaged or blank. I was very careful to eject the card from my Mac after transferring music to it and then mounting it to the phone. What is weird is that I tried to reformat it from my phone but cannot. When I put the card into my MacBook, all my music is still there and I can play it on my Mac with no problem. But my SGS2 still won't mount it and says that it is "blank". Otherwise, the phone works fine. If SD cards are going to cause problems, I'm ditching Android phones. The aggravation is not worth it. I also tried deleting the files in the LOST.DIR directory via Android File Transfer on my Mac and cannot do so.

On your 32GB micro sd card, when you flip it on the back do you see any characters in there? It should be "Made in China" and another string with numbers/letters. My original card from Amazon came exactly in the same package as you described. Worked for about 4-5 months, and failed. When I contacted SanDisk directly for replacement (providing to them my original amazon order info), the first thing they asked me to read the code off the back of the card. Mine was BLANK!!! When I received my replacement 32GB card from SanDisk which has been working flawlessly so far (knock on wood), it had stuff written on the back. This makes me think that some Amazon sellers have fake cards. It gets so confusing with amazon because anybody can put a product for sale under original listing and you can't distinguish if its real or fake. I have a feeling my faulty original card was fake, and SanDisk replaced it with a real one.

Upvote 0
He is right about what is happening at amazon. If you go there and read the reviews. You will find many people making similar statements.
What really ticks me off about it is Amazon apparently does not care. Even though thier customers are telling them. These sellers are still doing business. It's disgusting.

Upvote 0
He is right about what is happening at amazon. If you go there and read the reviews. You will find many people making similar statements.
What really ticks me off about it is Amazon apparently does not care. Even though thier customers are telling them. These sellers are still doing business. It's disgusting.

Not only Amazon, I bought the MHL adapter for my Note 3 on xmas day of all days, the item was delivered a week later and it was fake, after numerous messages via Ebay resolution center I returned it but completely forgot to add tracking and voila, the 'outfit' deny it received my return!
Ebay wouldn't refund me because I didn't return it with a tracking number, what? the feedback since my purchase was of similar actions to mine which leads me to believe that Ebay/Amazon will favour the income more than the reality. When these guys are paying Ebay/Amazon to advertize monthly, its not going to be in their interests to ban them!

Upvote 0
I agree to a point. Both Amazon and E Bay are going to do whats best for themselves. However, these kinds of things have been happening for years on E Bay.
Maybe I do hold Amazon to a higher standard. Either way I am not taking chances with either of them. I found the card I want at another online store. They also have reviews. In the end its up to us the consumer to protect ourselves.
Because of Amazons lack of care. They have lost a sell. ..

Upvote 0
I would just like to add an often overlooked point about SD cards. The batch of bad SanDisk SD cards is now well known but few people realize that SD cards, like SSD's, have a FINITE number of writes. Given the short lifespan of tech very few people will run into this due to the complex random write algorithms programmed into these devices. However, those of us that are both heavy users (e.g. daily dash cams) and hold on to old Tech forever (low resource demand 2nd uses) will eventually run into the "end of life" issues. I now keep a second backup SD card fully loaded and ready to go. I also redirect my write intensive stuff to my internal memory. Time for Samsung to increase the availability of more internal memory. 16Gb doesn't cut it anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones