1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SGS 2 i9100M Bell Firmware Procedure

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sm625614, Dec 31, 2011.

1. sm625614

sm625614 Newbie
    None

May 1, 2011
    Canada
    Hey guys quick question

If i buy a bell samsung galaxy s2 do i go about flashing firmware and custom roms made for the international version the same way?

Thanks for your response

Advertisement

2. NZed

NZed Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    Steps:
    1. Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278
    2. Find a firmware. Any will work. Preferably non-Frankenstein but its up to you.
    3. Download the firmware and Stock Kernel
    4. Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1103399
    5. Find the CF-Root matching your firmware. (i.e I downloaded the XXKI3 firmware. I then found the KI3 version of CF-Root)
    6. Install Kies.
    7. Open Odin.
    8. Reboot your phone into Download Mode. (Shut down your phone and then use the combo Volume Down+Home+Power until download mode comes up.
    9. Connect to PC.
    Look at this again for instructions in flashing (1st post) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278
    10. After flashing the firmware(after reboot and enter download mode again), click on PDA and choose the CF-Root kernel.
    11. Flash.
    12. Done! You are now rooted on stock rom. And now you have access to ClockWorkMod(CWM) Combo to enter CWM is Volume up+home+power.

And if you want to revert back to stock firmware and kernel(by this i mean the firmware and kernel the phone came with), here it is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1113928

Oh and after root, you can unlock your phone too! I foolishly paid $60 to unlock my phone but you can do it for free after root!

Now before you flash, flashing the CF-Root will void your warranty, also any other CUSTOM kernel or firmware

And our phones has a counter. Flashing something custom, no matter kernel or firmware, it will go up by one. Now people have discovered a USB jig to reset it, but AFAIK theres another counter counting the number of times the counter has been reset. But i dont know will the USB jig reset that too.

Now rooting is up to you. Rooting will open a lot of possibilities.

Flashing stock firmware and kernel via odin will not break your warranty nor will it start the counter. Only if you flash custom stuff when the counter will go up.

Oh and dont forget to thanks!

sm625614 likes this.
  3. sm625614

sm625614 Newbie
    None

May 1, 2011
    Canada
    Thank you(btw where is the thank you button)

But can i treat this device like the international version when flashing custom roms and firmwares?????

4. NZed

NZed Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2011

Yes you can! The only difference between the Bell i9100M and the normal international i9100 is that M behind the i9100. Its all the same

I am speaking from experience as i was once in the same situation as you! Yes i bought my galaxy s2 from bell too!

sm625614 likes this.
  5. sm625614

sm625614 Newbie
    None

May 1, 2011
    Canada
    that my friend, is what i needed to hear

6. Canuckista

Canuckista Lurker
    None

Feb 26, 2012
    Canada
    @NZed
    you win +1 internets.

I'm not sure I want to give up my warranty yet, may wait to see if Bell follows through on ICS in April for SGS2... but if I decide not to this is what I'll be using.

Thanks for writing it all out so clearly. I've been researching this stuff for days and this is, I must say, is excellent.

I had read in a blog that stated: "...leaked version of the firmware, so it is not official. This update will not root your phone and will not void your warranty..."
    Good to know that installing something not directly provided through kies will indeed void it.