1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SGS keyboard

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eagle8, Jun 23, 2011.

1. eagle8

eagle8 Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    Hi to all, I'm new here and have a question. :D
    After upgrading my SGS (internationale model, Belgian release) to 2.3.3, I lost the Cyrillic alfabet and language on my keyboeard. Is there some way to get this back so I can switch again language with 'space button' on the keyboard.
    Thanks for the answers,
    eagle8

Advertisement

2. eagle8

eagle8 Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    Nobody???

3. Nevy P

Nevy P Member
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Northants UK
  4. eagle8

eagle8 Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    Thanks for the reply Nevy P !

I already installed custom keyboard's but the main problem is that my device dosn't support the Russian language anymore after upgrading... So is there a way to install this language again in the system of Samsung keyboard?

Eagle8

5. Nevy P

Nevy P Member
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Northants UK
    What is it exactly that you want to do ??

Do you only want to send text messages etc in Russian ?

Or do you want to recieve text messages etc in Russian ?

Sending SMS in a language not native to the phone is easy with a keyboard that supports the language - however any SMS received in a language not supported by the phone (in your case Russian) will not display correctly (you will get a message showing this : ?????)

If you have installed a keyboard which has Russian (and you have selected this language) then you can send SMS in Russian !!! - BUT the receiving phone MUST have Russian as a native language to be able to view it.
    i.e East European firmware which includes Russian in the Locale and Text Settings.

A good keyboard is Smart Keyboard from Android Market - you also need to install Russian Language for Smart Keyboard and in the Smart Keyboard settings select it to use Russian language

you can get it from here :

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial&feature=search_result

russian language from here :

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro.ru&feature=more_from_developer

If you want the phone to be able to view received SMS etc in Russian you will need East European firmware !

It does not matter which language you have set as default - the phone can display text from all the other languages that are pre-installed !!!

In my experience installing Locale Packs does not make the phone 'switch' to another language - basically if the phone has not got a language as standard then it cannot display another language correctly !!!

You say that you have 2.3.3 - is this an official update for the phone - or did you flash one using ODIN ??

Can you give me more information about your phone and i will try to help you more !

Cheers

Nevy P

p.s If you have already installed a keyboard which has Russian - have you selected to use it in SETTINGS/LOCALE AND TEXT/(TICK CHECK BOX)

Check this first and in the keyboard menu check that you have selected Russian as a language

6. eagle8

eagle8 Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    Some more info about my problem:
    Cyrillic language worked perfect on 2.2.1. After upgrading to the official 2.3.3 by KIES I couldn't find this language anymore in the settings for the keybord.
    I do receive sms in Russian language and can read them, cannot send them. When I try to send it I receive warning mess. " warning: message is possible damaged on receiver device, do you want to proceed? " If I continu receiver only get " ?????? "
    I have tryed several keyboards from the market: Gingerbread keyboard, Smart, Better... which support Russian language and always changed settings in the keyb. menu and in device settings/text-language.

I think it's because this language isn't anymore included in the device system; I cannot find it in the settingsmenu for the keyboard language: settings/text and language/textsettings/inputmethode selection. Inhere the Cyrillic (Russian) language is gone.

So how can I get this back without using a custom ROM because I would like to keep my phone in the original and official condition.

Eagle8

phone model: GT-I9000
    Firmware 2.3.3
    Version:I9000XXJVO
    Kernel:I9000XWJVH
    Build: Gingerbread.XWJVH

7. Nevy P

Nevy P Member
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Northants UK
    OK now i see what your problem is !!

I have experienced a simialar situation trying to receive 'foreign' sms to my UK Phone !

Unfortunately i have never been able to resolve this problem and i think that there are many factors at play here.

I have a Galaxy S with Chinese keyboard - can write and send to China - no problem but i cannot receive sms - only the ???? message !

I also have a Galaxy Apollo which has full Chinese firmware and this phone cannot receive Chinese sms sent from within the UK !

I do not believe that because you have no default language on the phone it is giving you problems - the sms app does the language side for you.

I suspect it is SIM card or Phone Network that can make the RECEIVERS phone unable to view 'foreign' sms - not a fault with the senders phone.

So it may be worth doing some investigating - what phone makes/phone networks are you texting to and in which country.

Have you made any changes to your phone (other than update) i.e phone company etc etc

I am sorry that i cannot help you more but like i said i have trouble with the same issues !!

I have read on other forums that other people experience this sms problem and they think that it is down to which make/model phone you have in which country on which network !!

If you know people who can send / receive Russian sms in the same country as you - you should be able find out what phones/networks can work for you

...or take you phone to a Samsung Service Centre and get them to flash it back to 2.2.1and see if the sms issue is resolved.

Cheers

Nevy P

8. Nevy P

Nevy P Member
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Northants UK
    eagle8

I have found a solution for the sms problems !!!

As i have said that i cannot view Chinese sms on my Chinese phone it prompted me to do some research.

I am certain that the language issue is now caused by the stock sms app on android.

So i installed Handcent SMS app from the Market and all works perfectly !!

Handcent is a multi-lingual app and i think that the stock SGS app only works correctly with installed languages (however this does not explain why my Chinese sms can be viewed in China and not the UK)

My Chinese phone now receives Chinese language sms (and i have also tested it with Russian letters and it works!)

So you may want to try this :

install handcent sms app (does not require language pack - but you can select Russian for the app itself from the settings - this only changes the interface language)

install smart keyboard

install Russian language for smart keyboard and select it smart keyboard settings language selection key (you can tick for example English and Russian)

(now when i send a sms it does not display the corrupt message before sending)

Let me know if it works for you !!

Cheers

Nevy P

eagle8 likes this.
  9. eagle8

eagle8 Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    Hey Nevy P,

Thanks for the tip, it also works for me with the Handsent app! Just the interface language dosn't seem to change in Dutch.
    It also fit with the Gingerbread Keyboard and I made it my default SMS prog.

Thanks a lot!!!

Cheers

Eagle8

10. Nevy P

Nevy P Member
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Northants UK
    No problem eagle8 !!

A little bit of research and experimentation and both our problems are solved !!!

There is obviously some issues (or lock-out) with the stock SGS sms app - but i still can't figure out why previously my Chinese sms could be viewed in China and not the UK!!
    (but i expect that when i am in China my Chinese Galaxy Apollo will work perfectly !)

These Android phones are a lot more complicated than i thought !!

Cheers

Nevy P