• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SGS owners experiencing WiFi problems...Why ?

After experiencing the VERY frustrating problem of not being able to connect via my WiFi service, I started doing a lot of research on the problem on the web.
I found that it is a common problem with the Android OS, or at least it seems to be at this stage of the game.:(
I've only had my SGS for one week, and was absolutely loving it,....until I stumbled upon this problem. The problem many of us have is that we cannot actually connect using WiFi !!!
With WiFi turned on, all indications are that we are 'connected', but it turns out that isn't true.
On my display under Wi-Fi networks my 'connection' shows up and it even shows 'connected' below it. IT'S NOT!
I've tried all the tricks I've read about, including shutting everything down and rebooting, making various adjustments to settings, turning on 'Flight Mode', etc...but as yet...when it comes to using WiFi....my SGS is just a 'paperweight'.
Myself and others are able to use the SAME router for WiFi and have NO problems connecting to our laptops and other devices......but the SGS will just not actually connect. It is extremely frustrating and it seems to be a major 'bug' in the Android OS.
I'm sorry, I love my SGS, but I am quite irked about having this kind of major problem with my (any) SGS and trying to simply use WiFi.
This device is so capable and impressive in many ways,...but not being able to use WiFi is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE.:mad:

I ran across an app called 'WiFi Fixer' that automatically reconnects when your connection is lost....but that seems to be a bandaid fix, and I'm looking for a permanent fix.

My SGS is box stock. Never rooted.
The specs are:
Model Samsung Galaxy S GT-19000
FW 2.1-update 1
Baseband Version 19000DXJG4
Kernel version 2.6.29 root@SE-S604 #2
Build number ECLAIR.DXJG4

So, is there anyone out there who has discovered a fix or a solution to this? Is the 2.2 upgrade going to resolve it? :thinking:

Any suggestions on a real fix would be greatly appreciated. :eek:
THX in advance.

I had some wifi problems in that the device wifi dropped every once in a while, but it does work.. Changing the wireless adapter channel to 11 instead of 5 made it much more stable. The wireless signal always seems rather weak even when you stand right next to the device. I think it should work better than it does and I can understand your frustrations. Luckily I can connect to the wireless and browse the internet so I don't understand why yours doesn't work.

Reactions: LateNiteMike
Upvote 0
Thanks for your response Metusion.
I just logged on using my laptop to pass on an update and some good news.

I spent more time trying to fix the problem last night....and I FOUND A FIX !
I didn't really want to have to do it.....but late last night I did the Factory data reset....and my WiFi now works again ! I went to bed last night a lot happier, knowing that I managed to find a fix for the problem.
Now, two things....first as I said I've only had my SGS for a week but I had already had set up several things the way I wanted them,....but my overpowering desire to eliminate the WiFi problem forced me to go ahead and use Factory data reset.
I'm glad I did,....however I'm still wondering....how long will this WiFi reset last before I get zapped again? Am I going to have to install some backup app and be prepared to do a backup and then ANOTHER Factory data reset...every week or so?
Geez,....I sure as hell hope not.
I am going to install a backup app....just in case....and keep my fingers crossed that all goes well.
And...secondly.....I'm hoping that a 2.2 firmware update will resolve this major problem once and for all.
So, for now,.....all is well and I'm a very happy SGS owner once again.

I will continue posting any additional info on this situation that I feel will be helpful to others on this issue...and I'm also hoping to get more posts from any of you out there who can contribute to helping resolve this problem.
Thx...in advance. Cheers !

Upvote 0
I had the same problem LateNiteMike had. I was checking the settings of my HTC Desire and found the HTC not connecting to the internet through Wifi anymore either. Though my wifes HTC was working perfectly via Wifi. I was not in the mood to set my HTC into manufaturer setting so I tried to reset my router.
And believe it or not but my HTC is working again BUT also the SGS is working perfectly with Wifi now. So try to reset your router (just turn it off for 3 minutes or so and turn it on again) and perhaps your SGS is working also via Wifi

]

Upvote 0
Apart from occasionally having to switch off my wifi it has worked well for three mths. that's through four firmware upgrades and a new wifi router but yesterday it began misbehaving.

Although it detects my router and neigbours it refuses to connect, it seems to take ages with the message "obtaining IP address" and then it gives up. I managed to connect to a BT openzone OK but mine seems to be problematic. I've had this router for 2 weeks with no problems and have not installed any apps for several days.

I spend the first hour fidling with every wifi setting available, rebooting twice before giving up and going out. When I came home an hour or so later it connected flawlessley as before.

This AM it was fine but this evening it's the same problem.

Having seen some speculation that the wifi sleep policy is a problem I've set it to never rebooted and it's working again. Fingers crossed....

Mike

Upvote 0
hi there i have galaxy s for 2 months now always had problem with wifi it shows obtainig ip address .hard reset does the job but thats bad .reinstaling all apps .yerterday i have tried something new .i opened allshare app no wifi this application goes to wifi settings and connected 5 seconds .that app must be more powerfull or going around the problem and connecting .i have tried that for 2 days now problem obtaining ip address ,,allshare,,app does it .hope this will help to all galaxy s users until samsung wakes up

Upvote 0
I felt something was strange, really slow, with the wi-fi connection between Galaxy S and my router. It was resolved after I turned the router off and then turn it on.

The big problem on the phone is that if you are distant from a router, the signal is too poor. Sometimes it is able to connect, but still, no speed at all. It seems this can only be resolved on the next Galaxy S or whatever Samsung calls the one that will be better than it.

As I'm reading, wi-fi reception on the iPhone is better.

Upvote 0
Unbelievable! The Allshare App solution works! After nothing else worked this did! Thank You so much Zaba22! I was so frustrated with my Galaxy S until this solution. All I got on my home wifi was obtaining ip and then disabled. I hope Samsung reads these threads and fixes the problem quickly! This is a huge bug and this solution proves it.
Zaba22 your the man!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones