1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SGS2 down/uploading like crazy! (background data)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mrobbo, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mrobbo

mrobbo Member
    None

Mar 21, 2010
    My SGS2 is downloading and uploading CONSTANTLY, over wifi and 3g, when 'Background data' is checked. It hasn't always been like this, and has only really been an issue over the last week or so.

It's crazy. Over wifi yesterday, with 'Background data' checked, the phone downloaded 400mb in about an hour.

What has caused my phone to start behaving like this? Under manage accounts, I have :

Twitter
    Twitter for Social Hub
    Google
    Samsung Account
    Facebook for Social Hub
    Windows Live Hotmal for Social Hub

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but at around the time my phone started going haywire, I had installed aDownloader and Kik messenger, although since their subsequent removal, the phone is still persistently downloading.

Any help greatly received :) Thanks.

Advertisement

2. mrobbo

mrobbo Member
    None

Mar 21, 2010
    EDIT: I have tried installing Advanced Task Killer and killing all apps, but with 'Background data' checked, the phone is still downloading constantly.

3. Tristosterone

Tristosterone Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    I have this problem too. I installed Onavo to monitor which apps were causing this. I found Facebook was using about 5mb per day without me even going into it. This was with Background Data switched off and notifications switched of in FB too. Even the Onavo option to restrict to wifi didn't help.

Also found Android OS uses about 4mb per day too! I can't stop it without turning fatal off altogether!

I only have 750mb allowance do this is a big problem. I have removed FB for starters.

Any ideas anyone?

4. Sword Fish

Sword Fish Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Pilot
    Calgary, AB
    Have you installed any widgets that might be looking for data constantly? Do you have the default news app widget running? It is a really big data pig. Maybe install Airpush Detector and see if some malware is running as a result of the recent downloads

5. Tristosterone

Tristosterone Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Hi

The only widgets I have are Yahoo Finance and HD Widgets (weather). Onavo shows their usage as minimal. It says it is the Android OS most of the data. FB was bad too but I have now removed.
    I just tried Airpush. Thanks for that idea, but it was all clean.

6. Gembeck

Gembeck Newbie
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Worcestershire, UK
    Do you have any games from Game Loft.
    I installed one of their games and my data shot through the roof, and stopped as soon as I uninstalled it.

7. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    CJS23 likes this.
  8. Tristosterone

Tristosterone Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    I have tried my data manager now and it shows me the same data as Onavo. it looks like the Android OS uses your data allowance and these is nothing you can do to stop it.

Lots of other apps are using small amounts too, without asking permission.

9. CJS23

CJS23 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2012
    Registered here just to say THANK YOU!

Installed the app and immediately found that Google+ was the culprit - turned off "Synch Contacts" and Voila! - problem solved - my phone had been uploading for FOUR DAYS and virtually killed our home network by choking bandwidth.

Thanks again

10. fahdeen

fahdeen Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    i too have the same problem! i only have 250mb/month thru my service provider. and this has been going on for a few months. i used onavo to find out which program ism using up data. it says facebook(97mb) and android os+others (44mb) are the culprits. i have disable autosync for all programs and still these things use up my data. i don't have any widgets enabled except for one weather, onavo, battery monitor (these do not take up any data). before it was less but in the past 4 months data usage just shot up. right now according to both onavo and 3g watchdog i'm at 364 mb (that's 146% above my 250 mb limit). i tried everything using onavo i restricted apps to only wifi still this goes on!!!!

any help guys please.....

11. fahdeen

fahdeen Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    solution anyone?????