• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sgs2 unbranded lost root after 4.0.4 upgrade

class37s

Lurker
Nov 26, 2011
uk
Hello all,

I hope someone may be able to help me in this. I previously rooted my s2 on stock 4.0.3, using the excellent chainfire method with odin, however I decided to upgrade over air to 4.0.4 and have lost root. I have read that there is a risk of hard bricking with rooting 4.0.4 but would like to know if, and how, it can be done safely. I still have odin v3 3.04. I also have a backup of 4.0.3 rom on my sd card. Any help is appreciated.

phone details as follows

base xxlq6
kernel 3.0.15-19100xwlpt - cl941023
dpi@dell169#3
smp preempt fri jul27

build imm76d.xwlpt

Newbie Alert

PDA:I9100XWLPT
PHONE:I9100XXLQ6
CSC:I9100XEULPA
Build Info: Fri Jul 27 17:41:49 KST 2012

GT-I9100
Android 4.0.4
Baseband: I9100XXLQ6
Kernel: 3.0.15-19100XWLPT-CL941023
dpi@dell169#3
SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 27 18:08:15 KST 2012

Build: IMM76D.XWLPT​

I, too, lost root after allowing Kies to update.

Siyah is mentioned above. And the "Rooting Galaxy S2 - A Dummies Guide" has been updated with the following

(If you are rooting a phone currently running Android 4.0.4, (and your phone is not a, "G", variant), use the LQ5, CF-Root kernel followed by the latest Siyah kernel .tar file, using Odin, see post #2)

1) Can I check that it's OK to use LQ5 if I'm already on LQ6

as
If there is not a kernel which matches the letters and numbers in bold just go one number up from yours.
suggests going numerically up not down!

2) Can anyone explain what the Siyah Kernel will actually install? The only reason that I want root is to be able to use Titanium Backup.

3) To install the Siyah Kernal, do I:

Step 2.

With Odin displayed on your PC screen, click on the PDA button and navigate to the CF-Root Tar .zip file, that you placed on your home screen, and select it.

Make sure that Re-Partition is unchecked and that Auto Reboot, F.Reset Time and PDA are checked and that the PDA box now contains your .tar file.

Step 3.

Connect your phone, still in Download mode, to the PC using the USB lead. If you have successfully connected to Odin you should see the ID:COM box in Odin turn yellow or light blue, (depending on which version of Odin you are using).

Step 4.

In Odin click the Start button and you should see a green progress bar above ID:COM and shortly after that the box above it will turn green with the word PASS! in it and your phone will automatically reboot.

Then start at Step 2 again?

Step 2.

With Odin displayed on your PC screen, click on the PDA button and navigate to the Siyah kernel.tar file .zip file, that you placed on your home screen, and select it.

Make sure that Re-Partition is unchecked and that Auto Reboot, F.Reset Time and PDA are checked and that the PDA box now contains your .tar file.
and continue as before?

Upvote 0
Spot on DroidAlbatross.

The reason for using LQ5 is that it is the latest CF-Root kernel for Android 4.0.4 to be released by Chainfire.

The reason for flashing Siyah, for the S2, straight away, using Odin and the .tar file rather than the CWM .zip file, is that Android 4.0.4 kernels contain the, "brick bug", which is activated by using CWM.

Once you have installed the Siyah kernel you are safe to use CWM and there is no danger from the, "brick bug".

EDIT Since writing my amendments to the Rooting for Dummies Guide, chainfire has now launched CF-Root kernrels for:- LPO, LPT, LPU and LQB. So use LPT these instead.

Reactions: DroidAlbatross
Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I think I'm in the same boat, I need to root to backup on my wifes i9100.

Model number : GT-I9100
version 4.04.
baseband version: i9100xxlq6
kernel version: 3.0.15-i9100xwlpt-cl941023
dpi@DELL169#3
SMP PREEMP fri Jul 27 18:08:15 KST 2012

Build number:
IMM76D.XWLPT

Sorry to sound like such a noob there doesn't seem to be clarity out there on the big ol' web.

I'm assuming I'll have to download odin software and have to do the equivalent of copy-pasting a new file into the phone, is that correct, or do I have to re-install a new version of the OS? I'd love not to have to re-install as I've set up the phone to her liking.

P.S.

I'm really sorry to be so unknowledgeable about this, I wouldn't need to be getting into roms and such, except she was (via persistant messages) railroaded into updating to 4.04 from 4.03 over the air, and has lost ability to write to her external sd card. I really don't want to maintain all the PCs and our phones if they're suddenly going to update without my consent - none of my PCs do this- so I figure I need to freeze the updater or something to prevent this sort of thing happening.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I think I'm in the same boat, I need to root to backup on my wifes i9100.

Model number : GT-I9100
version 4.04.
baseband version: i9100xxlq6
kernel version: 3.0.15-i9100xwlpt-cl941023
dpi@DELL169#3
SMP PREEMP fri Jul 27 18:08:15 KST 2012

Build number:
IMM76D.XWLPT

Sorry to sound like such a noob there doesn't seem to be clarity out there on the big ol' web.

I'm assuming I'll have to download odin software and have to do the equivalent of copy-pasting a new file into the phone, is that correct, or do I have to re-install a new version of the OS? I'd love not to have to re-install as I've set up the phone to her liking.

P.S.

I'm really sorry to be so unknowledgeable about this, I wouldn't need to be getting into roms and such, except she was (via persistant messages) railroaded into updating to 4.04 from 4.03 over the air, and has lost ability to write to her external sd card. I really don't want to maintain all the PCs and our phones if they're suddenly going to update without my consent - none of my PCs do this- so I figure I need to freeze the updater or something to prevent this sort of thing happening.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums goodmeme! :)

Everything you need to know about rooting is contained in posts #1 and #2 of the, "Rooting Galaxy S2 - A Dummies Guide".

I see that you are using an LPT kernel and so therefore you will need this, LPT, CF-Root kernel, here.

Please read those posts, carefully and thoroughly, before proceeding as they should answer all of your questions.

Post #2 gives details on how to make nandroid and Titanium backups of the phone.

To disable Software updates... Settings > About phone > Software update > uncheck the boxes. Alternatively, you could freeze the Update system app by using Titanium Backup, as explained in post #2, under Bloatware.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: goodmeme
Upvote 0
Just to confirm, this will work with the GT i9100? The GT i9100 is not listed in those posts explicitly and it's all a bit scary :). I'm assuming the GT-i9100 is simply referred to as i9100 but just want to check!

Thanks.

All those models have the prefix GT- so the i9100 is in fact the GT-i9100.

Reactions: goodmeme
Upvote 0
Many thanks for the update!

So I want this one: CF-Root-SGS2_XW_NEE_LPT-v5.6-CWM5.zip ?

That's the one! :D

So I haven't got round to doing anything further!! :thinking:

But I think it's about time!

All details are as they were above!

Do I now want

1) CF-Root-SGS2_XW_NEE_LPT-v5.6-CWM5.zip and follow that up with Siyah v5.0.1?
2) a more up-to-date CF-Root kernel that avoids the "brick bug"?
3) one of the PhilZ kernel files?
4) a mix of the above?

Many thanks and this time I'll make use of your advice!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones