1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SGS2 wrecked, suggestions for a new?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ITemplate, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ITemplate

ITemplate Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi,

My SGS2 fell off my bike and is totally wrecked. I need a new and want to get a smallet one - if possible. 4.3" is a little too large and I'd prefer that the new isn't much thicker either...

Apart from the size, I have been very pleased with my SGS2 and its performance. I have looked around, but there aren't many phones with smaller screens, unless we're talking mid-range phones that can't match the speed of the SGS2. For example I have looked at the SGS3-mini, but tests seem to indicate that it doesn't perform as well as the SGS2...

I dont play any games or anything like that - but when I cycle the menus and hits an icon I want the phone to react without delay - at all.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    If money is no object, check out the gs4 mini or Htc One mini. Not sure what size they are compared to the s2 but i doubt if theyre bigger :thumbup:

3. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Display size is 4" for the S4 Mini, and 4.3" for the One Mini. Physically the Samsung is slightly smaller than the S2, but feels more so due to the rounded corners of the body. Dunno about the One Mini as I haven't had my hands on it yet.

funkylogik likes this.
  4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    The s4 mini seems to be a far more serious phone than the s3 mini. Havent even read about the One mini yet tbh :thumbup:

5. ITemplate

ITemplate Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks, but the S4-mini is 4.3" according to Samsung website...I want something a bit smaller.

6. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Reading comprehension fail.... apologies for misleading you. :eek:

The handset itself is physically smaller than the S2.

7. ITemplate

ITemplate Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Yes indeed, and that is what matters. I'll read some tests of that phone, thanks.

8. ITemplate

ITemplate Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Does anyone have some test-links that talks about the difference between the sgs2 and the sgs4-mini? Seems they look very much alike when you check out those "versus" pages...

Is it a better phone than sgs2?

9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Rather than trust someone's "versus" page I'd check the specs for them both myself: S2 and S4 Mini. There are subtleties though:

* They are both 8MP cameras, but that doesn't mean they are the same. It's arguable that the pixel count is one of the least important characteristics (but it's all that most comparisons will look at). Best to check samples if this is important to you.

* They are both dual core, but the S4 Mini is a couple of generations newer architecture, as well as higher clocked. It will be more powerful. It also has more RAM.

* The S4 mini has a larger battery.

* On paper the S4 mini has less internal storage, but you'll be able to use all that there is (that's not taken up by the OS, i.e. about 5GB) for apps, whereas I believe that the S2 has a smaller app partition (2GB?) and the rest is only for media. You can of course use an SD card for media with both.

For stuff like reception, real world battery life you could ask in our S4 Mini forum - the phone is new, so not many people have it so far, but there are people there who could share experiences.

Also check the specs in detail if you have specific requirements, such as want an FM radio.

I've never even handled an S4 Mini, so can't say anything about real world use of the phone. But the S4 Mini is certainly going to be more powerful than the S2, as well as physically smaller.

funkylogik and ITemplate like this.